Bought a broken .410 :(

spandit

Was in a new gunshop today, not going to name them just yet. Came out with a cheap little poachers gun, hammer action single barrel .410. It was listed as British but I suspect it's actually Belgian - no makers marks on it.

Got it home and fired it but was confused when I couldn't get the spent cartridge out. Realised that it had deformed because the ejector portion of the breech (not actually an ejector but the bit that holds the cartridge proud so you can remove it) was missing. When the gun is closed, you can see the cartridge loaded so haven't fired it again (and am asking for a refund). Are spares available for these guns, if I can identify it? Not worth having one made up, I suspect.

f0fe98d8eb9786ded6450f43a7dfce87.jpg

5b08cf498ec529c54b742c4957eeb046.jpg

The shop is closed now so I'll give them some time to respond before naming and/or shaming

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The proof marks are all British, would this be the case for an imported Belgian gun? I paid £85 for it, which seems to be about the going rate (until someone comes on here and tells me they bought six of them for £30 including a free bottle of Champagne and a week's grouse shooting in Scotland)... ;)

If I could find a picture of what the part should look like, then I can see about getting it made. Might pop in to my local RFD on Monday to see what he says...

would have thought/hoped that the shop tested the gun before putting it up for sale!! :sad1:

Indeed.

The proof marks are as follows:

Lion/CP, 405, Crown/V, Crown/CP, 410/C (in a diamond), 3", sword in hand/NP, NITRO PROOF, 9/16

Nothing unusual there but all British

There's a "J" stamped on the barrel under the fore-end

Edited by spandit

The missing bit would be easy to knock up by a competant gun smith, using a suitable bit of old rifle barrel ............turned out and in

I hope so. I suppose it would need to be brazed to the lever that holds it to the barrel.

I think it might be a Midland Gun Company product, but there's surprisingly little info out there

You must be a salemans dream if you did not inspect the gun enough to have spotted that !

Surely you must have looked down the barrel ?

I did look down the barrel but I'm not terribly familiar with shotguns and this is the first .410 I've ever handled. One would expect buying from a shop that the gun is OK but wiser now

Guest cookoff013

That's not fit for purpose. Exercise your rights.

If they don't replace the part or whole gun, write a letter.

Buying a gun that's unsuitable to be fired is a little naughty.

I've heard in cases where guns have been sold out of proof caused legal action.

Because the brass is unsupported where that bit is missing then I would consider it possible for the brass to burst with consequent risk to the eyes of the firer so pretty dangerous I would have thought.

Definite refund.

would have thought/hoped that the shop tested the gun before putting it up for sale!! :sad1:

LOL with a snap at best in 99% just take it back as soon as they open as without the extractor i would think it is out of proof!

When you speak to the person that sold you this potentially dangerous firearm advise them that anyone can make a mistake but that some mistakes are of such a magnitude for potential disaster that it may be the only mistake that you will ever make! Always remember however that ultimately you are responsible for your own safety so always ensure that any firearm you purchase in functioning as best you can tell before parting with your money and perhaps for the unsuspecting, later with your life!!

I can't comment in this case - but many guns 'shops' are neither 'gunsmiths' or 'gunmakers'. I have been amazed about how little the shop attendants know in some cases. In most instances they will admit it and call over someone more knowledgeable. In a few cases they don't. I am reminded of an example (at a well known name) were I was served by a 'junior' who obviously knew very little. He didn't need to consult his seniors, however, because where he didn't 'know' he made it up as he went along. A shame - as I have heard from others that the proprietor of that particular shop is a very good and knowledgeable person, but can't be serving all of the time. I would hope that the senior person/proprietor would always have a decent knowledge, but in some cases, it appears not even that person knows much.

The better shops have a tame gunsmith - and everything that is passed as a sale through the shop is checked by the gunsmith, but I believe there are many who don't do this as a routine.