Replacing a gun cabinet with a bigger one

Hi Iv run out of room in my current gun cabinet so can't buy any more guns unless I let one go or get a bigger cabinet , I was just wondering if I get a bigger cabinet can I put my guns straight into it or dose the FAO have to come around first ? Then I would have to leave my guns with a RFD until the new cabinet was cheacked ?

Cheers

All I have ever been aware of is the need to have firearms locked and preferably out of sight.(your choice) The need to ask FEO for permission to move my cabinet in my house to where I wanted it I personally see no need. I moved mine, added another one, they came to see me for my renewal, and asked if I could get the number of firearms in there.

I just told them I had moved it and added another 2 year's previously. No problem. What can they say ???

I had a level three secure check two years back because I had a new 20 gun cab in my box room and a three gun one in a cupboard. He past comment on me moving the small one and I refused so he wouldn't give me my license back lol. I phoned the next day and got him back out to check the new identical 20 gun cabinet I had installed right next to the other 20 gun one. You should of seen his face when he realised that was me with a 40 gun capacity ..... Hehe don't think he was expecting that but he was ok with it

My FEO came to see my cabinet when I applied for SGC.....I have subsequently just applied and got mY FAC and changed my cabinet beforehand. I told him I'd changed it and all he asled was "was it still in same palce and was it fixed to external wall"....I said yes, and he was happy with my verbal statement.....

Hi Iv run out of room in my current gun cabinet so can't buy any more guns unless I let one go or get a bigger cabinet , I was just wondering if I get a bigger cabinet can I put my guns straight into it or dose the FAO have to come around first ? Then I would have to leave my guns with a RFD until the new cabinet was cheacked ?

Cheers

You can move your inspected cabinet as many times as you want around your home without it been inspected.

But if you buy a new cabinet it has to be inspected after installation before it is used.

(South yorks rules anyway).

It's just good manners to tell them if you move the cabinet or replace it with a bigger one or additional ones. They can keep their records up to date (with your holding capacity) and come and see it if they really want (they don't in my experience).

It's all about cooperating and keeping a 2 way dialogue going. Then when you decide you want a bigger gun the variation slips through without any hassle. ;)

I appreciate there is no need in law.

im with avon and somerset,if i have 5 guns im ok, if i want another gun i have to have an alarm.why are some forses diffarent from others,

Because they invent their own policies!

The various bits of Firearms legislation are the same for all the country!

You can move your inspected cabinet as many times as you want around your home without it been inspected.

But if you buy a new cabinet it has to be inspected after installation before it is used.

(South yorks rules anyway).

It may be South Yorks rules, but it has no force in law!

There is no legal responsibility to tell your region if you buy another cabinet, (or more than one extra) likewise if you move your existing cabinet.

Various regions come up with all sorts of policy bull, ask them to show you the legislation that requires you to advise them, or them to check cabinets in these situations.

After grant Firearm responsibility is down to you, not them!

Edited by Dekers

There is no legal responsibility to tell your region if you buy another cabinet, (or more than one extra) likewise if you move your existing cabinet.

Various regions come up with all sorts of policy bull, ask them to show you the legislation that requires you to advise them, or them to check cabinets in these situations.

After grant Firearm responsibility is down to you, not them!

while i wont disagree at all with your comment is it not worth a quick email or phone call to your local FEO just to avoid any possible issues or delays in the future should another application go in, after all they keep every contact we make on file.. or at least south wales do as ive seen my folder

Because they invent their own policies!

The various bits of Firearms legislation are the same for all the country!

It may be South Yorks rules, but it has no force in law!

I agree , you can move it after it's been inspected for the first time, everytime you move it you do not have to inform them (what's to say you have not bolted it correctly after moving it ???) I think the 1st inspection is just to make sure it corresponds to BS,

I think they make it up as they go along I rang syfd as I installed another cabinet last yr downstairs to cut down on noise at daft o'clock

And they told me this process, no doubt every force is different, as is usually the case in debates like this,

(Fox with hmr springs to mind lol)

Edited by delburt0

while i wont disagree at all with your comment is it not worth a quick email or phone call to your local FEO just to avoid any possible issues or delays in the future should another application go in, after all they keep every contact we make on file.. or at least south wales do as ive seen my folder

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

To be honest I'm not sure it is a good idea, what possible issues or delays are there likely to be in future if you do not advise them of something you don't have to advise them of? :hmm:

If you move house you have to tell them, but I know of several people who have done that and advised the police, (including me twice) and they never bothered to come round and check.

I started with 2 shotguns many years ago, have bought and sold several cabinets historically, currently I have 3 cabinets and approaching 20 rifles/shotguns and my region has never questioned my ability to store them, why should they, it is my responsibility to keep them safely!

As I said, there is an assortment of Firearms legislation, and then there are regions implementing their own policy (which have no force of law). ACPO etc., have long been attempting to get all the regions to behave coherently but it seems an on going battle, lord knows why?

I agree , you can move it after it's been inspected for the first time, everytime you move it you do not have to inform them (what's to say you have not bolted it correctly after moving it ???) I think the 1st inspection is just to make sure it corresponds to BS,

I think they make it up as they go along I rang syfd as I installed another cabinet last yr downstairs to cut down on noise at daft o'clock

And they told me this process, no doubt every force is different, as is usually the case in debates like this,

(Fox with hmr springs to mind lol)

You do not need a Cabinet of any BS specification, that is simply a standard that has been produced and is generally taken as acceptable. Neither does this cabinet that you do not legally need have to be inspected for the First Time.

There are many situations where people do not have cabinets, and/or the situation requires greater security than a BS7558/92.

All this about your first inspection is groundless, it is merely something the police will commonly do to satisfy themselves about your situation, so, as a Cabinet is not actually a legal requirement, therefore inspecting it for the first time isn't either.

Now, please get this straight, I am not advocating you don't get a cabinet, and I have no issue with the police inspecting my security if they want to, cabinets are a useful way of dealing with gun security for the vast majority of us, but don't start thinking they are essential and have to be inspected!

ATB!

And your insurer may require storage in a cabinet meeting and installed to BS standards as a policy condition...

:hmm::hmm:

That's an interesting one, coincidentally I have just changed home insurer today, but never have I seen a questionnaire that asks if/what guns you own and or what security you have for them?

Have others come across this, OR is this something that may come into the have you any single items of more than £1500 (or whatever value they chose) question?

Whatever, that is nothing to do with the police/Firearms regulations! :good:

See your still anything for a cheap argument or disagreement Christopher I will bow out of this as you obvoiusly no everything as always.

Atb delburt0.

Then they wonder why more people are moving away from the warriors on here over to Facebook pages.

Edited by delburt0

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced my old cabinet with a bigger one. It's fitted in the location where the old one was. Sent an email to my FEO (Staffordshire) including pics of it bolted to the wall and they will be paying me a visit on Friday to check it out.

To be honest I didn't think they would bother but there you go.