overgrown pond, any idea's

hi all,

a couple of us have taken on a small shoot with an overgrown pond, there is only a very small area of open water the majority has been taken over by reeds, there are duck using it at the moment, we normaly see half a dozen come off when we go down,

the question is, how do we clear the reeds to get more open water? there is deep silt, you can push sticks down 6 - 8 foot, so getting in to get at it is a problem

is there a spray we could use?

We have thought about grass carp but do not know if thats a workable option, would they work with reeds?

so hopefully looking for a less labour intensive solution than manually dragging it out with ropes, as there's a lot

thanks

it

ponds a good size, say around 50 x 80 yards, small island in the middle, the small clear area is in the only machine accessable area, its a pity, but can't get to the overgrown parts with a machine, because of tree's or the ground's to bad, as we have machines available to us,

did not really want to spray and the grass carp was only a thought as they use them to keep waterways clear,

as there are only three of us and we are all knocking on a bit (old) was just hoping for a less labour intensive solution than dragging.

it

Yes you can spray the reeds rushes water lilies with round up pro biactive you have to hold a city and guilds pa6aw certificate and apply to environment agency for a licence which involves filling a form in. They will then come and visit you and inspect.the area to be sprayed if every thing is okay you can then spray the pond.You only spray upto 20% of the area and not in the same area so the rotting vegetation does not take the oxygen out of the water which can kill the fish we use a knapsack sprayer with extended lance either from the bank or a boat leave for about 6 weeks then do another area but always leave a section of the pond not sprayed this will leave an area of refuge for fish and animals to hide from prediters herons and cormorants.

I sprayed mine with roundup probiactive in october and cleared all the bullrushes i sprayed one patch of lillys as well but didn't do any harm to the fish i think its was 25ml to one 16 liter knapsack and it cleared every thing

That's one weak mix I normally mix up 250ml to 10ltr but saying that I don't use it on ponds