Angels or Thingybobs

I have a similar arrangement in terms of the wings being spread open but mine are on extendable fibre glass rods inserted into a metal tube. They can extend to 2m. I presume that your 'Angels' PC are static? In a decent wind mine can add good movement.

Mrs PC did say to me that she couldn't understand why all of her best dresses were always in a heap on the bedroom floor.

Edited by JDog

I have a similar arrangement in terms of the wings being spread open but mine are on extendable fibre glass rods inserted into a metal tube. They can extend to 2m. I presume that your 'Angels' PC are static? In a decent wind mine can add good movement.

Mrs PC did say to me that she couldn't understand why all of her best dresses were always in a heap on the bedroom floor.

any pictures?

and I do mean of your floating flying angels things rather than your Mrs and her dresses before the jokers arrive

Especially for you malkiserow.

The umbellifer salix in the background is 2m high. And before anyone says what strange pigeons we have in the Cotswolds that is a flock coated decoy with detachable wings.

DSC05519-1.jpg

DSC05520.jpg

Edited by JDog

Especially for you malkiserow.

The umbellifer salix in the background is 2m high. And before anyone says what strange pigeons we have in the Cotswolds that is a flock coated decoy with detachable wings.

DSC05519-1.jpg

DSC05520.jpg

That is what is refered to as a bouncer or floater

Edited by fenboy

I have found that Angels do work.......dont know why as they are complety false and un-lifelike......i use a couple now and then and face them into the wind....they look totally useless ! but they do work for me ............

all of us (well a lot of us) constantly fall into the trap of "what we think looks good"......when really it should be "what the pigeons think is good"

who in their right mind would think that a couple of scruffy maggoty birds going around in small circles would attract so many birds....but they do !

Edited by ditchman

Yes I have always referred to them as floaters. I am not entirely sure of the benefit of static 'angels' on short fixed stems. If PC got rid of his in favour of floaters I am sure he would start to shoot a few pigeons.

I used to use "Floaters" in the passed , these were made out of solid fibreglass sea fishing rods . These would bounce in the wind and on still days I would pull them down under tension with a cord back to the hide and release it when a bird was passing and they would then hover for a few moments . At full height they stood approx two metres high and I would pull them down to the ground to get maximum articulation. They became redundant when we developed the "Angels" . Which although static can be placed in different directions into your pattern.

I find that birds really do want to land with the Angels so i think they give extra confidence to the live community

I face my Angels away from the direction I want the birds to land (so landing birds see the backs of the Angels)..... and that might mean different Angels at different directions

I used to use "Floaters" in the passed , these were made out of solid fibreglass sea fishing rods . These would bounce in the wind and on still days I would pull them down under tension with a cord back to the hide and release it when a bird was passing and they would then hover for a few moments . At full height they stood approx two metres high and I would pull them down to the ground to get maximum articulation. They became redundant when we developed the "Angels" . Which although static can be placed in different directions into your pattern.

The landers / angels I use are made from a wing spreader as in post 5# but I mount them on fibreglass canes like the farmers use for crop markers , cut them down to about

2.5 ft

They will then give some movement in a breeze.

Edited by fenboy

I only use the coat hangers off my dresses???????????

An idea for malkiserow.....all you need is a cut off metall block connector and wire from B&Q and a hacksaw and you can make them into angels or bouncers depending on the length.......real men make them in the field out of hazel..........

Did exactly that a few days ago :yes: I always carry a knife so its handy for cutting a few props or making a lander /floater. The floaters I make about 3@ long and the landers 1' :good: If you break the wings on one of the birds, the wings rise and fall with the breeze.......works very well :yes:

Edited by turbo33