TX200HC .177 or .22 ?

Merlin64

unfortunately it's not quite as simple as that! There is no overall better calibre - otherwise the other one wouldn't be so popular! both calibres have advantages and limitations, so it's going to be a case of picking the one which has the better characteristics for your shooting permission.

.177 disadvantages are at short ranges they over penetrate, meaning some of energy is wasted and not dumped completely into your target. It also means there's a risk of damaging buildings behind the target if you're shooting in and around them - like with rats and ferals. However, the trajectory is flatter, making it a more forgiving calibre if you misjudge the range to your target. your hold over points are also much closer together, which can help with keeping accuracy.

.22 is a more loopy trajectory, making it less forgiving if you get the range wrong. however you don't get the problem of over penetration and the heavier pellet, whilst flying slower are more efficient down range, giving you more impact energy.

You can of course play with the weight of pellets to help boost positives or minimise negatives - heavier .177 pellets would give more energy down range at the expense of a slightly more loopy trajectory, or really light .22 pellets would flatten out its path, at the expense of down range energy.

It's all about shooting the calibre that most suits your permission and you're going to be the one who knows that best. If you ignore everything except which will deliver a clean kill, the answer is both at any NORMAL airgun range, so long as you are accurate enough with it.

unfortunately it's not quite as simple as that! There is no overall better calibre - otherwise the other one wouldn't be so popular! both calibres have advantages and limitations, so it's going to be a case of picking the one which has the better characteristics for your shooting permission.

.177 disadvantages are at short ranges they over penetrate, meaning some of energy is wasted and not dumped completely into your target. It also means there's a risk of damaging buildings behind the target if you're shooting in and around them - like with rats and ferals. However, the trajectory is flatter, making it a more forgiving calibre if you misjudge the range to your target. your hold over points are also much closer together, which can help with keeping accuracy.

.22 is a more loopy trajectory, making it less forgiving if you get the range wrong. however you don't get the problem of over penetration and the heavier pellet, whilst flying slower are more efficient down range, giving you more impact energy.

You can of course play with the weight of pellets to help boost positives or minimise negatives - heavier .177 pellets would give more energy down range at the expense of a slightly more loopy trajectory, or really light .22 pellets would flatten out its path, at the expense of down range energy.

It's all about shooting the calibre that most suits your permission and you're going to be the one who knows that best. If you ignore everything except which will deliver a clean kill, the answer is both at any NORMAL airgun range, so long as you are accurate enough with it. 1,77 AL THE WAY I HAD BOTH BUT KEPT MY 1.77.MORE FORGIVING. PLUS THERE £3.00 0R £4.00 CHEAPER A TIN NO BRAINER REALLY..

Edited by johny5

my pennies worth

get which ever you want they will both do as good a job as each other

i use to shoot a .177 why because it's what i use to shoot 40 years ago when my dad use to take me out so when i re started 10 year ago its what i went for.

my mate use to shoot a .22 why because it what he liked

did i shoot any more than him,,, No

did he shoot any more than me ,No

people will say get 177 because of flatter trajectory or get a .22 they hit harder

personally i think they are both as good as each other

colin

not that forgiving if you're using something the size of anti-aircraft round...

The price of pellets must be weird where you live! At my gunshop they're like-for-like so you pay the same for .177 and .22 .?? .£9.99 for tin of 177 and £12.99 for a tin of .22 in my gun shop and in most gun shops

Edited by johny5

I had a TX200HC in .177 and I found it to be an extremely accurate and powerful rifle, I really loved it but parted with it in favour of my B525. It accounted for many pigeons but I found it a little on the heavy side for me. Never tried it in .22 so I can't make a comparison...lovely rifle... :good:

At 12 ft lbs it has to be 177 or maybe a 20 at a push. Zero at 25 yards and shoot dead on to 30 yards without thinking about drops. Hit your rabbit between the back of the eye and the rear of the skull or though the back of the head. 850 fps is far easier to place than a 22 at 650 fps. I have killed 1000s of rabbits with a 177 Original 45.

Having said that I never found it a great pigeon stopper, a 12 bore is much better !!.

FAC then 20 or 22 by all means.

A

The TX is not going to be bad in either calibre. If you were looking at a lighter break barrel, then yes a .22 would be nicer to shoot.

Providing you learn you aim points, and keep to realistic ranges both calibres are fine.

I would go for .177. The flatter trajectory makes holdover slightly less complicated/critical.

Some will say 22 all day, others 177 however I can assure your 177 will do everything a 22 will do but with a flatter trajectory, how much easier is that?

Kills things just the same, all this about dumping energy, well they should read the fbi ballistics report saying wound channel is everything and hydrostatic shock/dumped energy Is all but a myth.

Hundreds of dead rabbits will testify for me.

• 2 weeks later...

They will both dispatch the quarry the same. A .177 doesn't have the same 'shock and awe' value as a .22, but it you put the pellet in the right place then the bunny/squirrel/whatever will go down just as dead.

The flatter trajectory on a .177 makes distance judgement less of an issue, so really it comes down to personal choice. I used to be a staunch .22 fan, but now I'm moving more to the .177 side of life, and so far the bunnies haven't noticed the difference. :yahoo::lol: