Toyota mk5 sump replacement

pestcontrol1

Sump replacement due to Toyota deciding to put a bit of foam in-between the sump and the gear box which holds water and grit and rots the back side of the sump. Yes you guessed it mine has now gone 12 years old and the rotten sump has gone.

I know i can get one from millners 4x4 @£170 but i was told of a place around Redcar / Middlesbrough that presses them out or sheet metal at around £70. yes the price sounds good But there is just one problem he dint know where about"s or the name of the place so i was wondering if anyone on pw knew of a place around that dose the same thing i would appreciate a name and number

Cheers

PC1

Really?

Seems strange, I've happily welded 0.8mm car body panels and can't imagine a sump would be that thin?

I am going to get under it and clean it off and make sure it is the flat back side that"s gone and then order one drop the old one off try to weld it up if it works all well and good the new one gets sent back if not then the new one go"s on.

On the thickness side of the sump i would"t like to guess how thick it is. Would it be best to take it off clean all the oil off and fill with cold water then weld to stop it warping

PS am no welder i would be getting someone to do it but he has"t done one before lol

No idea about a Toyota sump, but I've done a couple of Focuses . Ford want almost £300 for basically a baking try. I got a pattern one from Maldon panels for £30.

Cheapest i have found is £170

What did you do when you get the pattern was it just a case of getting one pressed to shape somewhere ?

I made the sump on my Standard using the original flange and I did get a little warpage, but if you're just cutting a square out it should be fine, just have him do lots of tacks.

I'd of thought it would be at least 2mm thick

The area needs cleaning as good as you can else the oil will contaminate the welds. Its a case of weld, fill with water and mark any leaks, reweld them, repeat.

Cheapest i have found is £170

What did you do when you get the pattern was it just a case of getting one pressed to shape somewhere ?

No it was just like a new Ford one, chances are Ford don't make them they buy them in . I ordered it one day and it was delivered the next , local Ford dealer wanted ten days to get one .