Dog insurance

Daveo26

Forgive me if this has been covered before iv searched and cannot find.

Iv put a deposit down on a pup and iv been thinking about insurance.

It's a gun dog and will be worked often.

Anyone suggest an insurance company ?

Tried pet plan via the countryside alliance website £38 a month! I'm hoping that's expensive

I'm unsure about insurance at all to be honest.

I know it's a good idea but seems to me the dog needs to be injured fairly often to get your monies worth?

Cheers chaps

You can get cheaper insurance but not all cover working dogs whilst working

Read the small print

Depending on breed the costs vary a lot and do increase a lot as time goes on

Usually excess is £50 and emergency call outs etc arent covered and some set claim limits etc

Personally think you would be better putting the money away each month rather than insurance but is a risk either way

Took one out for my first dog as bought her fully trained as the payout on death seemed a great idea and paid this for many years only for it not to be covered when they reached 8

Bit naive I suppose of me

Archi

I am with Pet plan, on thier "covered for life" policy. As long as there is no break in cover they will insure the dog for its lifetime, unlike some that refuse to reinsure the animal just at the age where you might need it!

Made a few claims with them, biggest was just over £2000 when my terrier decided to eat half a tennis ball (not once but twice!!) Never any problem with settling any of the claims and peace of mind should anything happen.

Putting money away each month is great as long as you can leave it alone, however it takes a while putting away a little each month to reach a decent total, Vets are not cheap.