Gas ram / igt rifles compare to pcp or spring

Rs2 springer

If im honest i cant afford the full pcp kit that i probally would like to this is why ive always liked spring piston rifles but been reading up on gas ram or igt and seem to be reasonable priced but i havent got that much knowledge on these so how do they compare to spring or pcp

Many thanks in advance

Rs2 springer

I don't like the recoil on a gas ram powered rifle. It is very sharp and 'choppy', but a lot of people swear by them.

If the rifle has been designed for a gas ram, it is probably going to be better behaved than one which has been converted from a springer, but the only way to know whether you like them or not is to go and try a few. :yes:

It also depends what you are going to use the rifle for. As a gamekeeper, I use mine for vermin control. On Rabbits for example, I used to use a Webley Longbow springer and a Webley Vulcan converted to gas ram.

Although they were moderated I found that when there was a number of Rabbits together then I could slot one but by the time I'd broken the barrel, reached for another pellet and closed the barrel again then all that noise and movement sent all the other bunnies bolting for cover.

PCP 10 shot, just a click on the shot, a flick of the fingers to reload and ready to take another shot so I only use PCP now.

If you're doing target shooting then this is all irrelevant of course.

Had a springer for many years, went to a Gamo Whisper igt and was a pain to shoot on target reliably. Now on a pcp setup I wouldn't ever go back as they are easy to shoot and look after. Budget is always a consideration and pcp has the draw back of needing pumps/bottles but then you do get 50+ shots out of a fill. I wasn't sure and almost bought a BSA lightening xl as had convinced myself I needed to be self sufficient in the field with a cock and shoot approach. I'm glad I was lured into the pcp world. Gas ram have good servicing intervals with the gas unit lasting some 100k cycles iirc.

I like the way gas ram guns behave, I use a fenman and love it . I've had a few theoben gas ram guns and they've all been sound.

+1

I've had 3 Gas Ram guns in the past and all have been excellent tbh.

I had a Theoben Sirocco and two Fenmans and they were beautiful!

I only sold them cos I prefer PCP.

If you are sure about sticking with a springer , you could get it tuned by Sandwell field sports

I use a pcp and swear by them until I recently shot a hw 80 tuned by them and it was swweeeet to shoot and just as accurate as my falcon prairie as well as being self sufficient !

I have shot and owned spring pcp and gas rams.

To be honest now i have a fully tuned hw80 tuned by sandwell fieldsports thats my favourite.

As for gas rams it all depends and in my honest opinion the only gas rams to consider are the older theoben i.e sirroco fenman or the hw90 the newer ones that bsa crosman ect use are **** the just a all in one drop in unit.

I have shot theoben rammers and the hw90 and the best was the hw90 its heavier so balances out perfectly very well made. And as for the recoil theres basicly is non and i can say its on par with a very well tuned springer the theobens are good but the only good one is the hw90.

+1

I've had 3 Gas Ram guns in the past and all have been excellent tbh.

I had a Theoben Sirocco and two Fenmans and they were beautiful!

I only sold them cos I prefer PCP.

bullet boy, That comment genuinely surprised me i would of thought it was theoben all the way i will never part with mine , each to ther own tho matey !

Do have a Theoben / HW model 90 in .25 (FAC doing 20 fpe with H&N FTT) and a Theoben Countryman in .20 (doing 11.4 fpe with JSB exact 13.1 grains), really love these rifles. The 90 is a bit on the heavy side, not so good for smaller people, but the Countryman is just great. Never gone part with that one :good: