A question about firearms variation

Hi all

I'm currently in the process of applying for a variation on my firearms licence

At the moment I have a .22 and a 17hmr both on an open licence

I want to apply for a .22 pump action and a 222 bolt action as I have came across two very cheap guns, I will also apply for 243 or possibly something larger, I'm undecided at the moment

But my question is do I need to put down the ground that I am going to be shooting over on the application form as I already have an open licence? I have plenty of good permission that I can shoot on, but I just wondered if anybody could help.

Thankyou for any answers

You will need good reason for each gun, despite open ticket so far, as, with the exception of a .22 pump the rest are centrefire for which you have no apparent experience and will therefore get a closed ticket (unless you are very lucky). .222 for fox and .243 for deer - do you have deer land ? If no deer then it might be wise to book a couple of stalks and ask your stalker to confirm. Interesting to see how you get on, as each area seems to be different. So far as land suitable for a .222 it will vary on local prejudices/feo attitudes. .243 is a quantum leap for most forces - hence the advice about stalks.

good luck

Thanks for the reply, The land does have deer that I can shoot, mainly roe and muntjack but I would not be shooting many just the occasional one for the freezer, so I thought I would also ask for fox on the 222 and 243. The .22 pump is just something different and would mainly be used for fun on targets with open sights, I would probably get the 22 and 222 first as I know of the two guns for sale and then get the 243 at a later date

Thanks for the reply, The land does have deer that I can shoot, mainly roe and muntjack but I would not be shooting many just the occasional one for the freezer, so I thought I would also ask for fox on the 222 and 243. The .22 pump is just something different and would mainly be used for fun on targets with open sights, I would probably get the 22 and 222 first as I know of the two guns for sale and then get the 243 at a later date

I would ask for fox on the .222 (my choice would be a .223 because of ammo supply etc). you can also shoot munjac with a .22 centrefire, subject to energy and bullet weight as in Deer Laws.

I would then ask for your large calibre for deer, (.270, or, my preference, a .308), use the land you have to justify the larger calibre and reapply in 12 months for your ticket to be opened for both new CF's. External stalking and confirmation of a couple of stalks should justify a .308 for deer, you will just have to clear the land when you go for a stalk.

Worth asking from the start for Any Other Lawful Quarry (AOLQ), so you can legally use your guns for whatever you come across and is legally shootable with that calibre.

Regards