Walther Rotex R .22 calibre

hoggysreels

have to be honest,, had a look and a play with one and here are my personal views on the rotex R8

firstly,, its a fine looking rifle, it had a beech stock made I believe by minelli, it had an eight shot magazine and actually felt very nice to shoulder, the cocking mechanism was pretty straight forward and very easy to use,

the one thing I didn,t like about the rifle was it felt a little bit front heavy when shouldering, I have to be honest but I thought it was a very nice rifle for the money and at £399 personally thought it seemed pretty good value for the money but like most things TIME WILL TELL,

it seems a cracking first pcp but how robust the parts are is really guess work,

I fired a couple of shots through the .22 version I tried and it is certainly in need of a decent silencer because as it comes it sounded very loud without one, I chrono,d the rifle and it was pushing on average 11ftlb and only had a variation of .1 on the chrono over 8 shots,,it certainly cycled the pellets nicely enough, the trigger felt a little heavy to what I am used to but for £399 for a pcp rifle NEW I thought it performed very well,

like most rifles out there ,, there will be the rotex haters but the one I have tried seemed very well built and looked and felt sturdy enough to last,

atb Evo

Put a few pellets through the Walther since l bought it ..

I find it a tad on the heavy side. Ive looked it over and it appears well made. The gauge "apparently supplied by BSA" looks basic/cheap, but functions. Whether its accurate, lm unsure. The rifle has cycled a couple of hundred pellets without a hitch. The bolt mechanism is actually operating smoother with use, and from new it felt reasonably smooth. Ive never owned a multi PCP, but lve had a bolt action gun for a good while, and in comparison, the Walther bolt mech is smooth. The safety catch mechanism is very good, usage being ergonomically well thought out.

Ive not noticed a great variation between different pellets brands, a slight one, but not one that gives great inaccuracies.

Whether the Walther can acheive its claimed shot count lm unsure, not counted yet. I will get hold of a chrono and check every 10th pellet regards power/speed output .. thats for the future though. The wifes not the happiest of bunnies with me buying the gun, less so me buying the air tank today .. "lm painting the hall tomorrow, see if her face can produce a smile?"

l really like the stock, it goes hand/shoulder well, and as aforementioned, due to being on the heavy side, its needed.

I find trigger weight to my liking, but understand, thats a personal preferrence, it is adjustable. Trigger is a solid plastic affair inside a metal trigger guard.

The cosmetic/weight balance fitted on the end of a Lothar Walther barrel gives aesthetic value, but little accoustic reduction lm guessing. Moderator is my next purchase!

Being designed and made in Germany was a point in my decision to purchase said air rifle.

Im guessing for the price "and that can only be good for the consummer" other manufactuers will have to step up their game. The Gamo Coyote looked a good alternative as lve heard are Hatsan AT44's ... Walther CW a 1 year warranty, Gamo has a 2 year, l believe.

Regards if its going to be reliable, every pcp that has ever been manufactured could also have that said about it, no matter where or who manufactured it, its a bit chicken and egg syndrome ... Walther has been in Germany and has produces some of the most well know gun for well over a century. They are good engineers and the Germans seldom enter into an engineering exercise without having done their homework. Warranty rectification work is expensive, getting it right early on is far cheaper! ... having worked in engineering for a good few years, l recall the Germans tend to get it right, not an absolute given, but in the main, more so than others, the British included!! ... all in all l'm very pleased with the Walther .. time will tell, but l'd hazard a guess, the Walther R8 will be one of the biggest selling pcp's in the UK over the next 18 months or so, now there's a claim .. ;)

Edited by hoggysreels

peter ,,the germans are very good at what they do,, even bombing our chippy,s (stan Boardman) lol,

I was very impressed with the r8 and can certainly see it becoming a popular rifle in the airgun world,

enjoy it bud and we can take some rats out very soon lol, well once I fix ya bloody torch :lol::lol: :lol:

atb Evo

• 3 weeks later...