tips with my puppy labrador

gwion wright

i have a 3 year old labrador which isnt to keen on water, dont get me wrong if a bird drop in the water she will retrive it but other than that shes not to keen, it might have been something i did wrong when she was a puppy or im not sure. BUT anyway ive got a 16 week old puppy now and im wondering how can i get this one better in the water???

i have a 3 year old labrador which isnt to keen on water, dont get me wrong if a bird drop in the water she will retrive it but other than that shes not to keen, it might have been something i did wrong when she was a puppy or im not sure. BUT anyway ive got a 16 week old puppy now and im wondering how can i get this one better in the water???

What else you looking to do with her in the water, Gwion? Scuba diving ?

So long as she will go in for a retrieve, and go across for a retrieve, blind and seen, that's all you will need.

Edited by Bazooka

Unfortunately its either in them or not, remember a lot of Trail breeding doesn't test water work in a challenging way and many think jumping in a flight pond is proper waterwork. Coat has a lot more to do with it than one might think, I have seen some with coats like greyhounds ( a proper lab and you will seriously struggle to find the skin through the top guard coat and then the dense oily undercoat), Think that don't matter ? well jump in cold water with waders on and then do it in trunks. My three year old accidently jumped in my big pond at only a few months old in the depth of winter ( I did what I thought best and praised him like crazy, rather than fret as I really wanted to as its about 6 ft deep and has steep banks if I had turned to panic and came over stressed he might not have made the water dog he is today). So I recon you can spoil a good waterdog but you cant make one though all pups brought on proper should swim not all think jumping in all types of water at all times of year is greatest fun ever.