Things you come across in the field....

Mightymariner

...like a Dane in full camo and army face paint!

Had a tip from a farmer friend that pigeons were already hitting a stubble they had just finished, and with Tuesday being my only free day I said I would be out first thing.

I pulled in to the field, it was clear, and a few pigeons clattered up from the edges. Good, I thought, this field is a on a good flightline and I have had a good day on the past here, plus the wind was just perfect, at my back. What could go wrong? Then I saw him, as I trundled down the hedge side, appearing from the hedge, looking like a commando, semi auto in hand.

Long story short, the Dane had been there since 7am (it was 10.30am when I arrived), and only had a couple of shots. I explained that I thought there was a better spot (where I was going to set up), and that he should move there. He said there was another Dane at the bottom of the field too. I had, by this time decided it there was no point in my shooting, I could easily find somewhere else to go and these guys were on a shooting holiday, so it was only fair that they should get in the action.

The Dane then offered me cash to move all his gear with my Landy! I refused his offer but said I would move him anyway up the field, and there I left him. Now I need to know how he got on.

I headed off in search of another field, and found just the thing, a dragged over rape stubble which the farm had spread old peas on to get rid of them, with lots of pigeons dropping in to pick up these treats. I've shot these fields before and there are good flightlines all over, so set up between two of the 'pea' fields.

The action was good for the first couple of hours, birds swooping in from behind and the right, pitching into the wind. A couple of dozen were on the deck. Then it dried up and the flightlines seemed to move, completely bypassing these fields. Nothing for it, but move. So, another move to a smaller 'pea' field and a quick set up (it was 5pm by now). I am glad I did, as I added another dozen birds to the bag easily, by 7pm it was over, and I had 33 in the bag. Not massive, I know, but all worked for and quite satisfying.

On Sunday I was happily sitting in my hide when a man and women trundled across the nearby foot path all seemed fine, as I looked again she continued to pull her trousers down and have a wee while her partner in crime checked for local activity. (He didn't see me so hide must have been good)

Just another day in the field.... :good:

On Sunday I was happily sitting in my hide when a man and women trundled across the nearby foot path all seemed fine, as I looked again she continued to pull her trousers down and have a wee while her partner in crime checked for local activity. (He didn't see me so hide must have been good)

Ha ha ha ha brilliant !

Ha, nice story Mightymariner :-). Good read.
Must have been odd to see camo face paint too haha - that's an extreme.

Good view? haha.