The year is turning......

ditchman

The curfew tolls the knell of parting day,

the ploughman plods his weary way................

Feeling up to it now , so decided to go for a walk around the fields, the plough is fresh and sweet smelling, and brings to mind the excitement it used to cause when i had the money to shoot early season partridges with friends, sometimes in shirt sleeves....

It has been a long while since i felt up to it to walk around the management strips, it always seemed such an effort, i took with me Captain Ted my black lab my youngest dog at 8 years, 5 years ago he fractured his shoulder on a picking up day and has limped eversince, he loved the gentle walk around with me and was in and out of the brush, i saw tree creepers, wagtails, loads of damsle flies and large dragon flies...and at about a 1000 ft i could just make out a kite swirling on the thermals, it was one of those days when you just had to break the gun and lay down sucking on an "old holborn" and watching the clouds with the sun behind and as an added bonus the sound of a spoilt working dog snoring, puts everything into context when you think of the butchery that is going on in the rest of the world and how lucky we are to live in this green and pleasant land..............no pigeons tho....but i wasnt really bothered.

On the way back i dropped off at the farmhouse for a cuppa and as a bonus was given a shed load of gluten free flour , as the children a while back had to do some cookery for school and it all had to be gluten free...and that was left over.......

I wish all of you the best for the coming season....game , wildfowl, corvid, and pigeon....

finest regards

ditchman

Did you end up having a gluten free plough mans lunch?, you will now be able to take on a few days beating and hopefully improve on your new lease of life, a t b with your new diet and by the sound of it you have found the reason why you haven't felt the thing lately.

wot thing...........?

It's great to feel well and get out and about in this fabulous countryside of ours. I've been working at the bottom of the Fells all week; the plums are hanging from the tree in the garden like bunches of grapes and the apple tree is laden. I could smell the change in the season early doors and sitting in my Landy at brew time could hear the Curlews in the distance, only spoiled by intermittent firing on the MOD range less than a mile away.

No Old Holborn for me though; enjoyed them in the past but my smoking days are long behind me.

I hope you too have as good a season as you hope for.

great read ditchman............and spot on too.thats the only thing missing when i'm shooting.........................a damn good smoke! used to smoke a pipe but gave up about five year back,still miss it like mad.theres nowt like watching the world go by whilst having a good stoke up.