cheap wildfowling gun

ppaynter

Hey guys

im looking to get a new gun for ducks and geese under 500 any recommendations

cheers phil

An old but well cared for 3" magnum pre-steel proof double ( Like an AYA etc) with the chokes opened out to 1/2 and 1/2 is what many of us use, even with steel (gun condition is of primary importance and one should have it checked in this regards by someone qualified to give his personal and his professional view " the two will often be different" :whistling: ) Cant tell you its totally safe but there are a lot of fowlers out doing this with their tens and eight bores let alone 12s.

Or a second hand SX3 auto or a new cheaper gun (Mossberg did a nice fowling auto but not 100% on cost new), the Baikel auto?

I don't think its essential to have a 3 1/2" 12 ga and I mostly use 3" these days in my SX3.

Be aware that pumps are light guns and shooting big loads with light guns aint great outside a gas op auto or a heave magnum double

I have a decent Remington 870 Super Magnum Express which you can have for half your budget + RFD fees. A tough, well-looked-after, 3 1/2" chambered wildfowler. P.M. me if interested and I'll get pics to you. See what the experienced guys on here think about this first.

I have shot the Zabala supper mag 12, its not too bad (though I should be very careful buying super mag chambered pumps and such) The Gas op certainly gas the advantage though I use less and less super mags, the ballistic advantage on target is slight and sometimes the pattern can blow making it worse (the cost is also greater per shell)

I would suggest getting a type of gun you use regulary so for example if you shoot a side by side for your normal day to day shooting get a 3inch magnum side by side with open chokes.

And same goes for over unders ect.

The reason i say that is a mate of mine shoots really well with a side by side but bought a semi for geese and duck and even though he shot a few he was struggling and was missing birds that he would normally have hit consistently with his side by side.

So go with what suits you.

So i would reccomend the following

SxS aya num 3, zabala laurona.

Semi hatsan extreme max, winchester

Over under lamber browning hatsan

There just a few i can think of.

I purchased an AYA #3 magnum at auction, cheap, sent it for steel proof and multi choked it,and to be honest it did not come to much over your budget,can use whatever non toxic shot and choke that match .i.e 1/2 steel to full Bismuth

I have done the same for this season. I got a 12g kestrel for £150 which already had both chokes opened to 1/2. Looking forward to using it on fowl

I purchased an AYA #3 magnum at auction, cheap, sent it for steel proof and multi choked it,and to be honest it did not come to much over your budget,can use whatever non toxic shot and choke that match .i.e 1/2 steel to full Bismuth

How much does it cost to get a gun steel proofed ? I have an old AYA YEOMAN 12G ,which I was planning on getting rid of but I didn't realise I could get it steel proofed ?

I've tried a few for wildfowling but have finally come to the conclusion that you need what you shoot best with. I'm pretty good (and confident) with my pigeon gun (maxus) so I'm going to sell my "romantic" 10 bore and 3" aya solway and buy a 3.5" maxus. Seems to make sense as I won't be swapping between different LOP, drop,barrel length etc...". I could use my pigeon gun but the carbon fibre looks a bit "gay" on the foreshore

2 guns.......it's the future ?

I didn't think you could get a gun proofed for steel now unless you changed the chamber length or other such thing?

Mine is a 1970s aya 3" number 3,I sent it for teague choking,Then sent for steel proof, the chamber length stayed the same,and has the "fleur de leys" stamped on the barrel flats,it can now fire any factory 3inch steel load,provided you have the right choke in ,from memory it cost around £70 for proof and the teague choking depends on how many chokes you require,ask Nigel teague for a quote,The whole project, including the gun, was a little over £500,the advantage of m/c is I can tighten the choking if using "Nice shot" or "Bismuth"