cheap wildfowling gun

ppaynter

Mine is a 1970s aya 3" number 3,I sent it for teague choking,Then sent for steel proof, the chamber length stayed the same,and has the "fleur de leys" stamped on the barrel flats,it can now fire any factory 3inch steel load,provided you have the right choke in ,from memory it cost around £70 for proof and the teague choking depends on how many chokes you require,ask Nigel teague for a quote,The whole project, including the gun, was a little over £500,the advantage of m/c is I can tighten the choking if using "Nice shot" or "Bismuth"

It could before you got it proofed.

Mine is a 1970s aya 3" number 3,I sent it for teague choking,Then sent for steel proof, the chamber length stayed the same,and has the "fleur de leys" stamped on the barrel flats,it can now fire any factory 3inch steel load,provided you have the right choke in ,from memory it cost around £70 for proof and the teague choking depends on how many chokes you require,ask Nigel teague for a quote,The whole project, including the gun, was a little over £500,the advantage of m/c is I can tighten the choking if using "Nice shot" or "Bismuth"

Yes boring the muzzle for multi-choking put it into proof requirement this is what I mean " they wont just proof a gun unless its been changed"

I've tried a few for wildfowling but have finally come to the conclusion that you need what you shoot best with. I'm pretty good (and confident) with my pigeon gun (maxus) so I'm going to sell my "romantic" 10 bore and 3" aya solway and buy a 3.5" maxus. Seems to make sense as I won't be swapping between different LOP, drop,barrel length etc...". I could use my pigeon gun but the carbon fibre looks a bit "gay" on the foreshore

2 guns.......it's the future ?

You will become disappointed with a stretched 12 over a ten the two honestly don't compare. That said your a fair way from the coast? so its better to have what you shoot most with

Maybe, but that has nothing to do with it's proofing.

If you decide to fire steel shot cartridges through a gun that is not steel shot proofed,that is your choice,but as Kent said it needed to be reproofed as a result of the multi choking so it made perfect sense to include the steel proof at the same time,to sum it up I know now that gun can fire steel shot without taking any chances,I would never encourage any one to use any gun that is not fit for purpose

If you decide to fire steel shot cartridges through a gun that is not steel shot proofed,that is your choice,but as Kent said it needed to be reproofed as a result of the multi choking so it made perfect sense to include the steel proof at the same time,to sum it up I know now that gun can fire steel shot without taking any chances,I would never encourage any one to use any gun that is not fit for purpose

But, as you have found out, your gun was fit for purpose, along with almost all fairly modern guns in good condition.

There is a second issue here, many guns that are steel proofed can become unsafe through use, neglect or damage and many guns that have never been steel proofed could pass a steel proof easy (only those taken beyond proof can be re- tested though).