Rabbit population explosion V fox control

birdsallpl

We all know that rabbit populations can be affected by the weather and the local crop rotation year on year and mixy will have a massive impact. This year there is a massive rabbit population problem in our area. They are everywhere in massive numbers. What is interesting is that we are seeing very few signs of foxes. I have actually left fresh rabbit out near the Warrens overnight to see if they disappear and they are always still there whole in the morning. They get picked at during the day but the carcass is still there so that will be crows and magpies. Don't get me wrong, I detest foxes as much as the next man, but do you think it possible that we have altered the natural balance a bit to far. In all honesty we could do with a few foxes to help out. (Never thought I would hear myself saying that)

Removing foxes and other things that eat rabbits gives you more rabbits! I was having this conversation just the other day with a landowner and have taken the situation in hand, things have changed here with having more capable and willing keepers in the area now. Gotta show willing haven't you :yes:

Lots of foxes but few bunnies in my part of the world. Last year it was rabbit central. A few farms had mixie last year and I heard rumblings of VHD but no really seen anything to suggest it. Probably just loooooads of charlies!

Edited by LeadWasp

North Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire border.

Many rabbits about?

I've just about cleaned out my permissions. Luckily one of my permission chaps is moving north to.... North Leicestershire / Nottingham border. :yes:

He also says there will be plenty there for me to take if I can make the trip maybe two or three times a year.

If you fancy having a closer look at my 'no-scope' NV rigs I can join you one night if you are up for it. I won't be able to make it a regular thing though, and have to use 4WD for health reasons. Here is my newest spotter rig - look at my other vids for a rifle mounted one with a crosshair overlay:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=nRZG1cLSrHo

Edited by Dave-G

Don't you think though that rabbit population can vary alot year by year? If you run a pheasant shoot then I'd be over the moon with no foxes and lots of rabbits. Get some of your beaters out there with air rifles, ferrets etc and reward them for helping you with some sport. We have taken 30 foxes since middle of may off our little 300 acre shoot and they are still coming! Good luck for the season anyway.

There is a sandy banking in a field local to me which is riddled with rabbits. You can watch loads of them sitting out in the sun under the sparse gorse from the foot of the hill to near its top. It is the perfect spot for getting yourself huddled into the shade of a drystone wall which runs parallel and about 60 yards away with your back to the sun and just sitting there all day with your flask, a few sarnies and your .22rf picking them off as they appear, perfectly lit in the sun. Most of the shooting lads around here are itching to get amongst them, but landowner wont let anyone on his land to shoot. :no:

There is a sandy banking in a field local to me which is riddled with rabbits. You can watch loads of them sitting out in the sun under the sparse gorse from the foot of the hill to near its top. It is the perfect spot for getting yourself huddled into the shade of a drystone wall which runs parallel and about 60 yards away with your back to the sun and just sitting there all day with your flask, a few sarnies and your .22rf picking them off as they appear, perfectly lit in the sun. Most of the shooting lads around here are itching to get amongst them, but landowner wont let anyone on his land to shoot. :no:

hence the place is riddled with them

Don't you think though that rabbit population can vary alot year by year? If you run a pheasant shoot then I'd be over the moon with no foxes and lots of rabbits. Get some of your beaters out there with air rifles, ferrets etc and reward them for helping you with some sport. We have taken 30 foxes since middle of may off our little 300 acre shoot and they are still coming! Good luck for the season anyway.

it might be hard for guys round these parts to take that in but nearly all the land for miles around is keepered and that that isn't is still hunted in the main by the gun packs. I got 7 in a year when I first moved in here off about 3000 acres at a guess, areas are so different I have shot into the teens in a night elsewhere.

I have seen a fair increase in both rabbit and fox numbers this year in Mid Wales where I shoot. I cover about 650 acres of mixed arable and pasture (350 acres where the owner doesnt want the foxes shot).

The early part of the year was a quiet one on the foxes but mid may onwards saw a fair few cubs (some litters of 5-6). I have shot 24 so far which is good going for the area and the size of the ground. I have also shot getting on for 200 rabbits.

To be fair I have also moved to night vision this year so this has also made a fair difference.

• 2 weeks later...