Pigeons / Rabbit Shooting in South Cambs?

Hello chaps. My turn to put a post up in this section.

I've been very lucky in the past to have been able to shoot with another PW member who has generously shared his permission with me a few times a year for a while now. I have appreciated this and his instruction in the art of decoying very much - I'll let him choose whether he wants to identify himself and take a bow in the form of a reply to this thread.

The member in question is based quite a drive away however, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask whether there was anyone a bit more local who might be willing to show me their particular way of decoying / shooting pigeons (with which I have experience) or of controlling rabbits or fox (with which I have no experience).

Door-knocking and enquiries locally have so far only turned up two kinds of response: one was a straight refusal and the others were all explanations that the local farms are all syndicated to a bunch of chaps from London, who seem to own the rights to everything locally. I can and will do more knocking in time, but if anyone local to South Cambs was prepared to let me accompany them as a one-off or perhaps a few times a year, I'd very much appreciate the chance of meeting some local shooters / shooting a few birds.

I saw on one of the other threads a suggestion to offer rabbit control as that was a local problem in the area in question. I've always suggested pigeons round here as there seem to be a lot, but the amount of ground I can cover for pre-knocking reconnaissance is limited at the moment, so if anyone's got an idea of what land owners are finding problematic...?

I've got Air Rifles / SGC / FAC (for deer / AOLQ). I'm also a talented software engineer and not a bad carpenter if anyone would like to suggest some kind of quid pro quo arrangement.

Thanks to anyone who reads this for their consideration.

Adam.

the local farms are all syndicated to a bunch of chaps from London, who seem to own the rights to everything locally.

Is this PX Farms? http://www.pxfarms.com/ £200 for the year for shotgun and airgun, no rifles. Has anyone had membership? It seemed a reasonable way of getting permission to use without having to maintain a permission (if you get what I mean).

I don't think so - I'm pretty sure they're based to the west of where I am and where I've asked, though I'm now considering sending them an email to ask questions about signing up. The responses I've had seemed to indicate that there was a pheasant shoot being run for the rich London boys and that they have people who do their predator / pest control, hence no shooting for the locals.

Thanks for the link though - I might be able to get to some of those locations and £16 / month might be doable.

Edited by neutron619

Blimey!

That surprised me, two posters and both have been out with me, good afternoon Adam and Liz.

Hello, oh marvellous and generous guru of pigeon shooting!

Did you get a package from me yet? I've returned your hat. Thank you for the loan.

Blimey!

That surprised me, two posters and both have been out with me, good afternoon Adam and Liz.

Good afternoon (evening). Sorry for the belated greeting - had to get on the road, but have now arrived (at last).

Hello, oh marvellous and generous guru of pigeon shooting!

What she said ;-)

Why not join Cambridgeshire Field Sports Association.They currently have a deal with PX farms and it's a lot cheaper.They will be at the Fenland Country Fair this weekend .Why not pay them a visit? Inland fowling and game shooting opportunities are also available .

Many thanks for the tip - I was planning to drag the wife and small one down there on Sunday afternoon, so I will certainly call in and enquire. I'll add it to the list that currently says "buy smelly cheeses" and "buy weird Italian shotgun cartridges of no practical value". Enjoyed it last year so hopefully it'll be good this year too. Don't know whether to take the gun and shoot clays though...

PS - Just checked out the CFSA website and it looks like there isn't one currently. Just wondering if my skills would be of any use to them... I'll ask.

Edited by neutron619

Took the gun but didn't shoot in the end - simply a matter of bad timing on the part of the small one.

I did make contact with the CFSA however and I'll be putting the application form in later today. A little after that I'll be crossing my fingers that they let me in and looking for a good price on some hide poles, netting and a few decoys... :)

I think this is what they call a "break", so thank you to Tollerman for pointing me in the right direction - very much appreciated.

Edited by neutron619

You are very welcome.Always happy to help a fellow sportsman.Just had a look at their current maps and there's plenty of shooting in your neck of the woods.

That was the main attraction - some of it perhaps even as little as 10 mins away from me, traffic allowing, so I'll be able to go for a wander in the evenings rather than have to be out all day - that'll certainly help keep the Mrs on board with the idea. It sounds like there'll be a chance to get my air rifle out as well, after 3-4 years where I haven't really had much use for it, so I'm rather excited at the prospect. Fingers crossed they accept my application and that they do so soon - I'm keen to hear from them!

Thank you again :)

So the CFSA are still active then.? I'm in the same position as Adam and I'd sent them an email via their website early this year but hadn't recieved a response, any other way of contacting them? The website did look as if it had been untended for a while.

Tom

Edited by TriBsa

ehb102 there was a web site but I don't think it's been updated recently.Once you join you can access their facebook site which carries news of forthcoming events .

I think it's gone. It would be good to have something stating what membership offers. I'm not personally looking to join right now but in the future or for referring people to it would be awfully useful.