Stupid birds

So my brids have decided that the best defence at night is roosting in the open ground rather than the cover at either end of the pen and if a fox comes near fly out to be eaten (lost one last night). Its only a small pen 25x25M with 150 birds its has cover at both ends and an open space in the middle. We have green netting over the fence on 2 sides to stop the birds spooking (dont have any left to do the other sides).

Any suggestions to stop this happing, I'm worried that every night a fox will have a sniff around and spook out birds. I'm working on fox control but its a hard bit of land to lamp and Im not experienced with snares.

Paul do you mean a extra electric fence out form the main one at the moment I have 2 strands at the bottom of the fence and one at the top. Fences are all off the mains so easy to add more they give a good kick as well. I lost 2 last night in the pen looked like they just hit the fence and broke their necks. I'm in Ireland

Yeah just a single strand out, about 12 inch from the floor, run it directly out from the corner, may be even run a strand out half way between corners, again at 90 deg to the pen fence and put a bit of a dog leg bend in it, I'd use the screw in insulators to a short post, the elecy fence can be wrapped around this type of insulator which will stop the wire jumping off and shorting to ground if/when a fox smashes into it, we don't want to jeopardise the integrity of the main fence!

Once your fox has learnt anywhere within 3 or so meters of the pen can result in a shock he won't be so keen to run the pen fence.

Early morning (5:15am) with the rifle and watch from a distance if you can.

How about trying a radio to keep foxes away? Our pen has a cheap pocket radio which I put inside a short piece of drainpipe to keep the rain off. Cost me about £3 and cheap batteries last a week.

Not really sure if it works but at less than the price of 1 poult to me it seams worth a go.

simple things help a lot , if fox is coming that close to your pen some things wrong with your defences ! you need to attack all of the foxes senses , give him the message that you the human are the alpha predator and he should be afraid of your pen !

I always take a leak at all four corners of mine and get some cigarette butts from the pub ash trays put little piles of them around the edge of the wood and pen. this will allow him to smell you.

grab some flashing lights off the traffic cones at the local road works put these around the edge of the wood / pen, I would move these around every few days. he will see these.

grab a little radio put it in a feed bag stick it by your pen gate playing some rubbish radio station, he gets to hear it 24hrs a day !

all the electric fence suggestions are normal practice and great.

hope this helps, if it don't ....feed him some lead !

simple things help a lot , if fox is coming that close to your pen some things wrong with your defences ! you need to attack all of the foxes senses , give him the message that you the human are the alpha predator and he should be afraid of your pen !

I always take a leak at all four corners of mine and get some cigarette butts from the pub ash trays put little piles of them around the edge of the wood and pen. this will allow him to smell you.

grab some flashing lights off the traffic cones at the local road works put these around the edge of the wood / pen, I would move these around every few days. he will see these.

grab a little radio put it in a feed bag stick it by your pen gate playing some rubbish radio station, he gets to hear it 24hrs a day !

all the electric fence suggestions are normal practice and great.

hope this helps, if it don't ....feed him some lead !

Agree totally, just one point, remember to turn the electric fence off before taking a leak in the corner of the pen! Lol.

Dunno about you but once I start taking a leak I can't stop, you'd be doing well to take a leak at each corner of the pen even on a every other day biases, and then what happens when you have 3 pens to get around?

If you want to leave human scent around use a couple of pee pots or jars suspended high on the pen fence with a small wick, that way you can choose which one to fill or share and the scent won't wash away so easy in the rain plus they can be moved about

Edited by Paul223

Dunno about you but once I start taking a leak I can't stop, you'd be doing well to take a leak at each corner of the pen even on a every other day biases, and then what happens when you have 3 pens to get around?

Paul, yes you would spend most of your day running round peeing and drinking....but I just try to make sure I wee on a different corner post of a different pen each morning, I have 5 pens to get round, so each one should have fresh wee every five days....as foxes have a very good nose I think this is good enough !

Also be wary about fag butts. I have before found a pheasant poult dead with a fag butt(was one of mine) lodged in its throat/mouth. But then as this topic suggests pheasants are stupid birds!

dumb birds just want to die ! I have had a poult die due to having a bumble bee stuck it its throat !!! there is no end to their suicidal tendencies ! but you have a valid point this is something I have over looked this year ,I used to put them in a jam jar with some water and a pierced lid . you can guess what I will be doing later today .