Anyone making sloe gin yet?

njc110381

Well it looks like this could be my first year of my long term plan coming together. A few years ago I planted a mixed hedge on the verge outside my house. Wanting a native setup that was resistant to hedge divers, I went for hawthorn, but popped a few blackthorn in for good measure. And this year I've got my first sloes.

I just went out to check them and they're soft. Could it be the early onset of a good amount of hot weather that has got them ripening this early? I'd usually leave them longer but I've had a little idea that will be very well received, and it has to be done now. Have any of you started yet? I spotted in a search of the forum that some folk are picking by mid September, so I'm only pushing things by three weeks or so and these feel nicely ready.

I've just thrown together my first bottle with some sloes that I've frozen first to frost them - a DIY birthday present for a mate. I've left it layered in the bottle so she can give it the first shake later and then open it at Christmas. It's a bit of a cruel present, but I think she'll love it.

Looks like I have a crop this year though I tend to leave them till they are very ripe not just about ripe. Mine have colour though they must swell and start to split (normally you see frost before you pick sloes here). I also do wild plum and damson vodka also brandy with the same and a bit of star anis. Don't like as much sugar and I add it in stages

Bit early yet, but you don't have to wait for a frost, just pick them later on and put them in the freezer. Defrost and they are ready to go. Always make a bottle or two every year, but you are right, it's gona be an early one this year, and a good crop. I can forsee a few more bottles going in the cupboard this autumn!

I think I've got enough left in the hedge to make up about a litre or so. They'll be staying on the plants until later. The stuff I made today is already taking up a bit of colour though - I was quite surprised how quickly it started to change but then my mate was shaking the **** out of it all evening. I think she was happy with her gift!

• 3 weeks later...

Too early for me also, although I am picking loads of plums and damsons for the same purpose. Damsons are ok to get in demijohn neck, but plums have to be halved first, which is a pain.

We have found a way round this - we use 2 or 3 litre Kilner type jars - fruit just drops in. When you take it out you can use it for pies etc. Pie made from "gin damsons" with custard in the cold weather "Num num" - can't wait :yes::yes::):good:

All my hedgerow booze is now done and getting it's daily stir - the sloes were falling off the branches when i went to pick them a couple of weeks ago. It felt to early, but then everything seemed to come in too early (even harvest round here), but it was a case of get in and get some or go without!

May I have the recipe please?

Easy really - once the fruit (damsons or plums in the case of plum whisky or any of the "sweet" fruits) is strained from the mix treat it like fresh fruit when making a pie or crumble except reduce the sugar in the bake as the fruit will have absorbed some in the brew - can't say by how much as everybody uses different sugar levels in both brewing and cooking to their taste :/

Easy really - once the fruit (damsons or plums in the case of plum whisky or any of the "sweet" fruits) is strained from the mix treat it like fresh fruit when making a pie or crumble except reduce the sugar in the bake as the fruit will have absorbed some in the brew - can't say by how much as everybody uses different sugar levels in both brewing and cooking to their taste :/

Thank you

Not really a good crop of sloes around here for some reason this year. I know we had some good blossom but can't remember if we had a frost shortly after to explain the scarcity. Have located some, but not a lot. Bumper crop of damsons though and have been again picking some this morning. Now have three demijohns on the go and am starting on a fourth. Looks like we're going to be busy with the cider again this year also.

A Christmas deal.

Having got the taste of home made sloe gin my wife now wants some more for this Christmas.

A kind member on PW sent me a bottle a cpl of years back and in fair exchange I sent him some Decoydippas, ( I am still trying to walk straight)

So if anybody wants to swap a bottle of sloe gin for a couple of new Decoydippas (AKA deny's dippas) I would welcome a pm.

I don't need the gin till near christmas but with christmas in mind you can have the dippas immediately on an honour trade :)

ATB Deny

Edited by deny essex