posting guns to rfd.

teddy boy

York guns are the dealers selling. package and posting is£10. to travel and pick up the guns is a four and half hour journey each way.

throw in fuel costs, plus time, not such a good deal. can get only one of the guns locally so sorry to say one will fall by the wayside.

that is unless I can find someone on here who can help.

the next time you hear or read on here of some R.F.D. closing, you have to wonder why!

enjoy the weekend everybody.

York guns are the dealers selling. package and posting is£10. to travel and pick up the guns is a four and half hour journey each way.

throw in fuel costs, plus time, not such a good deal. can get only one of the guns locally so sorry to say one will fall by the wayside.

that is unless I can find someone on here who can help.

the next time you hear or read on here of some R.F.D. closing, you have to wonder why!

enjoy the weekend everybody.

I'm not clear as to what you are saying here. Are you saying that york guns or your dealer are going to get in a car and drive all the way up & down to Hampshire with the guns? or are you traveling?

I thought that stuff like this was sent on a carrier and it was just the packaging / time / admin cost of the paperwork transfer from dealer to dealer to buyer that was involved.

PS If your dealer wants £50 per gun then (A) they are thieves and want shaming. It would be cheaper to get in a car and go up and get them yourself. At least you could view and handle the tools. I suppose it depends on the total cost of the deal Ect.

Edited by fortune

I bought my .243 from 'darn sarf' and the RFD cost £50 to send and York Guns £25 to receive.

I'm not saying it can't be done cheaper, but sometimes you have very little other choice i.e. I could have driven an hour to another RFD and saved a tenner, but the 2 hours plus fuel made it impractical. Don't forget that to send a gun, the courier alone must be the best part of £25, so for mine the RFD fee was, in effect, £25 each end.

It's an expensive way to review a gun as a possible purchase, but if you are definitely buying it's not a great outlay if it's something you really want and you can't get it locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Post it yourself, my RFD (who only charges for the actual carriage cost) was away so I was advised to send it myself (as long as it was to an RFD and not another SGC holder).

Parcel Force 48Hr with £500 compensation is about £28, obviously business contracts get it cheaper.

BUT, unless you have a Dangerous Goods Contract with PF, sending yourself is in breach of their terms of carriage, and in the case of loss or damage, the compensation is void. BASC trade members who have subscribed to the BASC PF group scheme all can use PF, and GTA members have a similar scheme with TNT.

It should also be noted, only one RFD is needed, as long as the receiving RFD will do carriage forward, they can arrange to collect your packed gun with their courier contract directly from you. There is no requirement that you take it to a sending RFD.

BUT, unless you have a Dangerous Goods Contract with PF, sending yourself is in breach of their terms of carriage, and in the case of loss or damage, the compensation is void. BASC trade members who have subscribed to the BASC PF group scheme all can use PF, and GTA members have a similar scheme with TNT.

It should also be noted, only one RFD is needed, as long as the receiving RFD will do carriage forward, they can arrange to collect your packed gun with their courier contract directly from you. There is no requirement that you take it to a sending RFD.

Nail head hit

• 2 weeks later...

Yes

Dangerous goods contract doesn't apply to guns for sporting use sent by a private customer,

ParcelForce regs as from July 13th

"Guns for sporting use
(Section 1 and Section 2 firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts)
Packaging guidelines: May be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to any applicable controls on the possession of firearms. Only low-powered air weapons
are accepted by Parcelforce Worldwide. Sender’s name and address must be visible on the parcel."

Edited by phaedra1106