ocp attack

Dr D

Like many pigeon shooters I suffer from a subset of ocd - - - - ocp! Driving round the urge to look over hedges cannot be resisted. No matter how hard I try the compulsion is too strong. Today I had a major attack.

Usually ocp can be managed (there is no cure) with a good dose of saturday therapy. However, this weekend I am away from home and so the madness has been setting in. I decided a stiff walk was in order. In the unfamiliar surroundings of the 'big smoke' I ventured along the nearest highway leading out of north london towards watford. Then it happened. A quick glance towards the yonder distance, and there gleaming like a jewel was a freshly cut field.

My heart started to race as I stared to the heavens and caught the unmistakable sight of columba palumbus, and not one but many. Many, many, many! All heading for said field. On I trudged towards the target. I hopped over a fence and there it was before me. Nirvana.

Hundreds, no. Thousands of our blue, grey feathered friends chomping happily in the afternoon breeze. By this stage my heart was thumping, my head sore at the sight of the best pigeon flightlines I have seen this year. And poor old benelli hundreds of miles away, sitting oiled in the cabinet back home. I have now returned to my urban prison. Here I sit, quivering, broken hearted at what could have been, but never will.

Edited by Dr D

I know how you feel. I have a "holiday" next week and after shooting 2-3 times a week for the last 6 weeks I will be missing it particularly as already seen another two fields of uncut wheat the pigeons have started hitting in numbers viewed from my living room. While I'm away don't know if better to avoid looking for pigeons so as not to suffer these pangs of regrets for missed opportunities. :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

The only problem I have with OH suffering from OCP is he makes me nervous when I am in the passenger seat and he is looking over hedges instead of where he is driving. :o

Logically its not worth looking as he hasn't got permission on those fields anyway, but he can't resist looking. :lol:

I too have driven into a number of ditches while looking over hedges

Brilliant, I've been a sufferer for over twenty five years. When I was working many years ago I was covering 48K of business miles a year that's when I became addicted. It has caused me to Drive to Greece each year to try and wean me off this addiction but I do manage to see birds in Europe and many deer much to the annoyance of my co pilot who's contestant chant" Will you keep your eyes on the road"!!!!!!!

God you sound very ill dr d, had a drive round yesterday with dad but no birds anywhere havent a clue where they are at the moment.

On the positive side im starting to see the geese again and there on fields I can shoot roll on September.

You shouldve brought the benneli and went to shoot your FAC is valid on the mainland

I think most of us suffer from that disease, I have taken detours to follow birds, even though I am hundreds of miles away from home. :)

it also affects those of us that fish as well.

Passing lakes, rivers and ponds, also provokes thoughts of , "whats in there ?", "where would be the best place to fish ?", etc.