Too much choice by far.

JDog

I was pretty excited about shooting today. The sky was partly cloudy and the wind was strong and the omens looked good. Eighty miles later I called it a day without setting up once. There were just too many stubbles for the pigeons to choose from. There were a few in every field but no strong lines anywhere.

The only good part was finding one of my farmers cutting the first of his fields of beans on what is normally a productive line. Roll on next weekend.

Same here Jdog. Recc'd a field of wheat stubble yesterday afternoon and there were a good amount of pigeons on it. Some nice strong flightlines. Unfortunately, the lads were hooning around with the JCB loading roundalls onto the trailers. Skilled job that :yes: So.like you, full of anticipation for what should have been a good day, I headed off there today. Hardly a bird to be seen, no flightlines.....nothing. Used a few hours walking the dog round the rest of the farm in the hopes the tap would be turned on, but it didn't happen. Came home and sulked :lol:

Edited by turbo33

Very much the same here JDog, infact despite having plenty of stubbles to choose from the pigeons are also feeding on grassland too, my first shot birds last weekend had grassland seeds in there crops along with wheat and barley and one bird had a slug down it's throat!

The strange thing is we have a small barley stubble that is literally litered with barley heads and even a patch of laid crop which the combine missed, no pigeons here say's it all really!

I will be out looking tommorow but i reckon my conclusion will be the same as yours.

We saw lots of birds heading for standing beans over the past two days. No ambush points and not able to shoot standing crops due to seed drop.

Your "beans" are they what we call around here Tic beans......black squarish round about the size of a pea ?