Red Letter Day with the Husher

sitsinhedges

I pretty much knew where I was going today after a recce last night and it was the only place really showing birds on this farm today so I set up around mid-day.

The pigeons came in quite well but for a start my shooting was dismal with ridiculous misses that had me wondering what the heck was going on, maybe a boxful of shells for a handful of birds. I was really starting to lose confidence and kicking myself for making such a bad day of such a good opportunity but I stuck with it and slowly started to get some good kills.

I had quite a bit of sport and was going to pack up around 4pm using my 15minutes without a shot rule but whilst kicking around in the deep hedge for lost birds some more slowly started to come to the pattern and it carried on from then on until I ran out of shells at around 6-30. My shooting had got better and better and confidence refreshed I had some great kills towards the end.

I knew I had got a few but never imagined that I would be able to pick 138 pigeons and a crow with some more birds still unaccounted for in the thick hedge.

This is double my previous best with any gun and my missus turned up at the end to help me get everything off the field.

Ended up a great day for me and my trusty moderated 20gauge.

Photo0200_zpsaf16ad35.jpg

cracking moderated bag :good: we had a short session today with the husher horses in next field for 8 birds

out of interest whats your average cart to kill ratio with the husher ours has been around the 2 for 1 mark last few weeks

Mine seems to be about the same though today I wasted a load of shells in the beginning but at the end I could hardly miss. Despite the bad start I think I used about 230 shells for 140 birds plus the ones I couldn't pick. Can't complain :)