Unexpected bag

motty

On Friday I had a long drive round after work, to see if I could find anything worth setting up for on Saturday. I looked at plenty of wheat and barley stubbles and a couple of old rape stubbles, but, at best, they only held a small scattering of birds. The only place that I thought might be worthwhile for a shoot was a recently cut bean field. I only saw around 100 on there at around 5.30pm, but they were being joined by a few while I watched. So it was that field or nothing.

I arrived at the field at around 11am yesterday. I hoped to see a few pigeons feeding. There was around 10. No matter, I thought, it's still early.

I set up a magnet and a load of shells. Some decent flight lines kept me alert, though it was clear most of the birds were not interested in the field I was on. I had to make do with some high flighting birds to start with, along with the occasional decoying bird.

Fenboy was given an invite, provided he could cope with a bit of a slow day. He turned up eventually, after following his sat-nav to a destination five miles away! I had 22 on the clicker when he arrived, that was just about 10 an hour.

The day followed the same pattern, nothing really decoying too well and generally 'jumpy' birds. We both shots some nice high birds, but I was missing far too many. I tried some 'Hi speed' 32gm 4.5 'proper cartridges'. They killed ok, but they were very loud and kicked more than most shells. I wasn't overly impressed. I found Mr Young's 30gm 6.5s much more agreeable.

This was not a day for doubles. I did manage a very nice pair, the second bird being extremely pleasing.

We could see the rain clouds making their way towards us, so we got the brollies ready.

After a nice 10 minute downpour, the pigeons came out to play again, this time with a lot more determination to land amongst the decoys. Admittedly, the pattern looked pretty good, with all our dead birds out, but the behaviour of the pigeons was totally different to minutes before.

Most of the birds decoyed to FB's side, which was probably just as well, as he was shooting far more consistently than I was. When we got to around the 75 mark, we started to think the ton was on. Surely enough, we kept ticking over for a while and decide to draw stumps at around 6pm, with a bag of 107. A very enjoyable, if at times frustrating day.

post-2090-0-95984200-1408889170_thumb.jpg

A good report of our day Motty

There were certainly plenty of birds about and if they had decoyed anythng like they did for the last couple of hours then I very big bag could have been on the cards .

As it was we still got a good bag and both had some very nice shots indeed , some good sporting shooting and some good company , cant ask for more than that.

Good effort chaps, sounds like a well deserved ton. motty stop playing around with shells and stick to your 1oz 7,s, if it aint broke....

Well shot the pair of you. :good:

Nice touch Wane............28-7 way to go................

TEH

I think you're both right!

• 2 weeks later...