Silver Pigeon 1 - New or Used?

nicknsd1978

My shotgun certificate has just come through so its time to buy my first gun. I'm having lessons at the Nottingham Gun club and been told that it will be best to get a Silver Pigeon 1. The question is do I buy new or get a used one? its my first gun so this is all new to me. Any help would be appreciated

Congratulations on joing the empty wallet club :-) As this will be your first gun I'm assuming that that shooting is very new to you apart from lessons and therefore your experience is limited to the gun you have used for lessons.

The most important thing is gun fit. Cant stress that enough. you could spend a fortune on a gun and unless it fits and you can hit your targets it might as well be worthless to you. If your lessons have been with an SP1 and you get on well stick with it but go to a shop/reputable dealer for your first purchase either new or second hand. If your lessons haven't been with an SP1 and its just what someone else has told you to get I would get yourself to a shop/dealer on a clay ground so that you can try as many guns as possible and then get the one that is right in terms of fit and budget for you.

I have recently bought 3 second hand guns in a private sale but only because I felt comfortable enough to look for the good and the bad and plenty of guys in PW can always advise and help. I wouldnt have done this for my first gun unless I had a friend who was hugely experienced who could guide

I have to admit that I'm a big advocate of getting a new gun as a first gun. Yes you may loose some if you trade but its always possible you wont. The thing with buying new if you dont have a friend with experience and your own knowledge is limited you will have a gun that will come with a decent warranty. Any issues you will know that you have some good comeback and support and if purchased from a really reputable dealer absolutely zero fuss with any issues. Obviously there is a cost to this as you will pay more for a new gun but the cost should provide peace of mind.

Hope this helps

If you have set your heart on a Silver Pigeon and it fits you properly - buy a second hand one.

If it is just what someone has recommended to you - perhaps because they have one - I would do as suggested above. Shop around and try a variety.

If you can get one with an adjustable stock / comb - it will make it easier to get a proper fit.

I bought a new silver pigeon delux 20 bore last year love it and won't be selling it so won't loose money on it. My other gun I bought new ( maxus ) and again love it and won't be selling it.

Iv bought second hand in the past but Iv decided buying new makes me more happy , others like to buy second hand so each to their own it's a free choice country we live in and every one has their own opinion on every thing.

If you have had lessons with a silver pig and enjoy shooting one buy one your happy or can afford to buy ( just remember cartridges and clays start adding up the more hooked you get )

But above all enjoy yourself

All the best

Dom

thanks for everyone's advice. Its really helped...my lessons have been mainly with a Gold-E but my last one we took the silver pigeon out. I went to have a look at some guns at the Countryman of Derby. I really liked the Browning 525 but again when i went for my lessons my instructor said that unless you like cleaning your gun as soon as its been used, then stick with a Beretta as they don't rust as quickly. Apparently with the Browning if you don't clean and lube it on the same day as you have used it, by the morning after it will start rusting. The Beretta doesn't need as much looking after....I'm sure i'll open a whole can of worms by repeating that. Again been the complete Novice how will i know myself if the gun fits me without the salesman just trying to make a sale?....JF Neville guns in Alfreton has been recommended to me

True for older Browning but new ones are chromed the same as Beretta is. Don't clean any gun after use and it will rust after time.

I'd say buy a mainstream brand and you won't go much wrong as you will want to change it after shooting it a while and it will sell or part ex easier.

Figgy

Very basic rule for fitting is mount the gun as shown during your lessons so that the gun sits comfortably in your shoulder pocket and with your cheek on the stock. Do all of this with your eyes closed. When mounted and you open your eyes all you can see is the back of the action the gun fit isnt right. If the fit is good then when you open your eyes you should be able to look down the rib and see the bead. Thats a good start for gun fit. Ask your instructor for some things to look for as he would of fitted a 'lesson gun' to you. You might find that your instructor for a fee may well come along with you.

The shop you mention has a try before you buy facility and many years experience. I doubt very much you'll get just a saleman pitch there to shift a gun I think you'll get good advice and help.

It sounds to me that you are not sure what gun to buy..If mainly clays then a 682 arguably better than a SP.SPs are pretty standard stock shape/size etc.The old prejudice against browning about rusting is exaggerated.

I agree with Gordon and would now only buy 2nd hand.save initial mark up and v.a.t. for a thing that will last a lifetime..... a Beretta is of course a good choice,however Miroku/Brownings are comparable(in my view).Over last 10 years,the berettas in my household have needed more servicing/trips to gunsmiths than Brownings but in terms of which can take less cleaning then probably a beretta..but if you are like most shooters and clean guns regularly and after all shooting there really is not much between them.Which feels best in your hands to shoot would be my criteria...can you not go and shoot a few?Most folk either prefer the slimmer action of a beretta or the fuller handful of a Browning......although latest 725 is more beretta in feel than 325/425/525s......It is very easy to rush and buy too early,there are so many of these guns on the market you have no need to rush until you are more confident which gun you want.

atb.

I have just bought a SP1 in Feb from my local clay ground in Fife, I had the choice of 2. The first was a well used SP1 £840 with some cosmetic marks inc trad in and the 2nd was a Ex demo for £1100 in VG condition. Prob had approx 200/300 shots inc trad in. I got the ex demo as it had seen little use. Gun fit was good on both. I hope this helps. (Ask if they do trade in)

Ronnie