Wildfowling Season 2014 - 2015

Wildfowler325

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it right this morning in the wind. Chose the right spot and shot four pinks.

Said some bad words when the hide kept blowing down though.

A good day.

Well done indeed , I think I may have shot my last of this season as it looks like they have finally departed my area of the wash , with a shortage of duck too it could be a slow end to the season unless we get some good cold weather.

fenboy, 2 or 3 flights a week? lucky ******... its 80 quid in fuel for us so we do once a week or more likely once a fortnight

last season was my first, but from talking to my shooting partner and other club members it does seem that it wasnt a good year for us, mainly due to flooding everywhere and the birds had plenty of places to go.. hopefully its gona be a better one this year

Kiffy have you tried the Severn estuary down at Goldcliff / Nash , there is a wildfowling club down there and its a fair bit closer .

I just cant seen to get to terms with the pinks on the North Coast at the moment. Last week I tooK a auction winner out for a day, very few pinks and none came anywhere us , but we did manage a good bag of teal and wigeon over decoys on the tide. Went after some mallard mid week who did not want to play ,but plenty of pinks went over where I went on monday. Had another go at them at the weekend had some big skiens over me but the wind was from their side and and they came over just a fraction too high and then out this morning , the wind was perfect , strong and from the right direction , but no a goose came over the marsh. Tyipical !!

Not fired a shot at a foreshore goose since October , but had plenty from inland , but they are just not the same.

I just cant seen to get to terms with the pinks on the North Coast at the moment. Last week I tooK a auction winner out for a day, very few pinks and none came anywhere us , but we did manage a good bag of teal and wigeon over decoys on the tide. Went after some mallard mid week who did not want to play ,but plenty of pinks went over where I went on monday. Had another go at them at the weekend had some big skiens over me but the wind was from their side and and they came over just a fraction too high and then out this morning , the wind was perfect , strong and from the right direction , but no a goose came over the marsh. Tyipical !!

Not fired a shot at a foreshore goose since October , but had plenty from inland , but they are just not the same.

I think its there unpredictability that makes them such a good quarry , you can go on a good wind and they could be flying high as kites or scraping the ground , you can go on no wind and they can be doing the same !

Never sure where they are going to come off or go on the marsh or if there is some moon if they will go on at all .

You are right I have shot plenty inland over the years but only had my first on the foreshore this and they are so much more special and hard won .

Last week I set myself a challenge to try and get another Pink by Christmas as I had duck and game hanging up but no geese. On Thursday I went to Norwich on the bus and while looking across the marshes I saw three fields covered in Pinks , coming back around three o clock they were still there , so I thought it was worth a trip back up the road to see if I could get a shot when they go back to there rooting grounds . I went about four miles up the A47 and half a mile across the marsh , by then it was getting fairly dark and the first skeins were on the move . I was in the right place but even though the wind was strong they were sideways to it instead of against it and there was only one lot that looked just about on , the first shot didn't have to much affect but the second shot caught it a bit further up front sending it gliding down onto the marsh I was on giving my dog a easy retrieve , as it turned out they were the only shots I had but I went home well satisfied with the results . What made it worth mentioning , this was the first time I have been on these marshes and never saw a single duck at flight ...........Thank god we still have got plenty of geese in the area, we have got several duck but with all the splashes about they are well scattered and is more luck than judgement if you are on the right one . ,

Got it right this morning in the wind. Chose the right spot and shot four pinks.

Said some bad words when the hide kept blowing down though.

A good day.

What a fantastic result for one of our senior members , and long may it continues .

Us Norfolk boys still have some learning to do " Grandalf ", like using bad words when the hide blows down :lol:

What a fantastic result for one of our senior members , and long may it continues .

Us Norfolk boys still have some learning to do " Grandalf ", like using bad words when the hide blows down :lol:

I learnt all my bad fowling words from Sid Wright - A proper owd Norfolk boy if ever there was.

Hi Guys,

Sorry havnt posted in a while but I have a new addition to the family a little girl, so she is taking a lot of my time up plus I have to keep the wife happy

But I was fortunate to be out on the 1st on the Morray firth. Me my dad and friend had a very successful morning flighting the geese. I had 1 Canada and 2 greylags. My friend shot 1 Canada and 1 greylag. And my dad got his first ever Canada so it was a very special morning. We could of shot a lot more geese but we just sat and watched them in the sunlit morning. It was a very lovely morning.

Would like to wish everyone a lovely Christmas with family and loved ones.

Hey guys I hope everyone had a good Christmas and ate and drank plenty.

Quick question if someone could help me with it would be appreciated.

Im suffering really bad just now with really cold hands and feet. Can anyone recommend the right gloves and waders i can wear in Minus temperatures.

Kind regards

Calum

Ex army goretex arctic mittens are good when you are hanging around early in the morning before sun up, for my feet I use seal skinz high socks, I like these very much, any neoprene waders will do the job with a nice set of thermal long johns on, I've gave up with branded jackets and gone for us army goretex gear backed up with army primaloft from the states, if it's good enough for Afghanistan it's good enough for the shore!

Thanks for that Shakey,

I was out the smorning and my feet were so cold and tingley just makes the morning unpleasant. At moment i wear wool socks plus very cheap chest waders which have lasted 4 seasons mate.

Hope your having a good season so far.

Ex army goretex arctic mittens are good when you are hanging around early in the morning before sun up, for my feet I use seal skinz high socks, I like these very much, any neoprene waders will do the job with a nice set of thermal long johns on, I've gave up with branded jackets and gone for us army goretex gear backed up with army primaloft from the states, if it's good enough for Afghanistan it's good enough for the shore!

Edited by Gooseman1982

Thanks for that Shakey,

I was out the smorning and my feet were so cold and tingley just makes the morning unpleasant. At moment i wear wool socks plus very cheap chest waders which have lasted 4 seasons mate.

Hope your having a good season so far.

Hope you are having a good do as well gooseman , I shoot up your way probably 5 weeks of the season,and I know how cold up your way can be, I'm having a good season on the shore for geese, but a bit low on the ducks.

Thats cool ware abouts do you visit when your up, Im memebers of Inverness and black isle wildfowling clubs. quite alot of ducks here at the moment havnt been under them yet though. When ya making your next visit up to my part of the woods.

Hope you are having a good do as well gooseman , I shoot up your way probably 5 weeks of the season,and I know how cold up your way can be, I'm having a good season on the shore for geese, but a bit low on the ducks.

Young Frank is looking well Mat......Did you buy your dogs boots for Christmas ? , there doing well to keep em on , and by the way , do they do them in different colours :good: .........,,All the best for the new year Mat ,,

He is growing up quite nicely, the great big softie spent most of yesterday afternoon and this morning wandering round the house as i was not at home :lol: All the best to you as well!