Wildfowling Season 2014 - 2015

Wildfowler325

That was a flight to remember E.w , were there only Mallard using your marsh ? , or were there any other species coming on there as well.

Mallard round our way seem to be declining each year and I think a lot of the problem is the flight ponds are being fed on a large scale and shot that regular that there are only a small amount left compared to what it was like before the heavy feeding.

well marsh man I must say it was a great flight, there was teal about but at my age I'm not very quick at mounting the gun by the time i manage that the teal are in the next county and there were Canada geese flighting and well in range but 32g 5 would be an act of a madman to take a shot, I get great pleasure just watching the birds on the marsh it's always great to get out there.

Regards,

E.w.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening + an hour under the moon flight

I decided to leave work early and see if I could bag a wigeon or 2 out on the mud.

As usual by the time I got to the estuary the wind had died down and the air warmed up.

Me and the dog waded out across the mud to get near the edge of the river, no cover at all out there so it was a case of get the dog clarted in mud and laid down then me lay down beside her.

The few wigeon I did see passed by high up early on, a late shot at a flaring cock bird didn't connect unfortunately. A few mallard fleeing about kept me on my toes, a few calls brought a lone drake nicely overhead, no need to sit up, the bismuth shot brought him crashing down a hundred yards behind, a simple retrieve for the keen young lab.

Light turned to dark, thick cloud cover and a good blast of sleet and hail as the temperature dropped.. I was beginning to think the cloud wouldn't break up to reveal the moon..it did, very briefly.

It was a frantic 15 or so minutes of pinks and greys coming over from all angles..just out of range for my ability

I kept my calm and picked a tail end pink from a small group passing directly over me, another satisfying shot and one happy dog.

I only had to wait a few minutes for a good skein of greys to pass over, they spied me qt the last moment and flared up but a single shot pulled one down into the river. A nice swim to tire the dog out before home time.

Shame I didn't get the wigeon I wanted but theres always tomorrow!

Another thoroughly enjoyable flight.

Anybody shot findhorn recently?

Edited by AberFowl

• 6 months later...