got cartridges today then asked to taken a copy of my sgc

littlerob

went and got some cartridges and got two box's of eley lighting wich was a bonus but said sorry rob got a new police FEO officer about here and he is demanding that we take photo copy's of everyone's SGC do you mind i said i can do better than that i can give you a colour copy as keep on in my wallet got chatting and i ask was this a new law when the owner of the shop said no he contact BASC about this taken photo copy but haven't had much said what they do or anything he could do i suggested that make up a petition get all customers to sign and ask why they need to photo copy's of there SGC taken for and then send off to the chief of police of that area to make aware what is officer is up to

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think I may have said no and got my cartridges from elsewhere if they insisted

we jump through enough hoops already without more made up rules.

there is no reason at all that they should require it, so shop elsewhere for the time being and the shop will soon put in an objection of their own if they are losing trade as a result.

belly

I know its not the shops fault, but I think they should have made more of it initially with the FEO.

may be better to get all the customers to email the firearms dept individually as they will soon get fed up of loads of emails complaining about it rather than just one in the form of a petition.

Cecil and his wife Marget are nice people even thought we dont see always eye to eye on pigeon prices lol but as i said i will check out with rob at partridge guns on the weekend as he is only about 6miles away and is under Lincolnshire too and see if he has herd anything

went and got some cartridges and got two box's of eley lighting wich was a bonus but said sorry rob got a new police FEO officer about here and he is demanding that we take photo copy's of everyone's SGC do you mind i said i can do better than that i can give you a colour copy as keep on in my wallet got chatting and i ask was this a new law when the owner of the shop said no he contact BASC about this taken photo copy but haven't had much said what they do or anything he could do i suggested that make up a petition get all customers to sign and ask why they need to photo copy's of there SGC taken for and then send off to the chief of police of that area to make aware what is officer is up to

It might be as you look well dodgy .......lol

I would be somewhat concerned about this lovely little database of firearms owners being stockpiled at shops.....in a pile of photocopies why a copy? Why not just note the license number as they do with sales and transfers in their log (the log which as of 1st of sept has to be computerised?) AFIAK the RFD log does not have your address or photo on it?

If they insist on seeing an SGC, they have no right to take a copy. It contravenes the Data Protection Act. Once they have seen that someone is entitled to buy cartridges, there is no lawful purpose for retaining that information.

I was told that my driving licence needed to be copied at a Building Society - I was opening another account, although I already had two other accounts at that branch. I told them that it was illegal, but they said they always did it. I told them to take a copy and I would make a formal complaint and also report it to the Data Commissioner. I made it clear that I was happy for them to proceed as I would be financially recompensed by them after my complaint. They then decided not to copy it.

If its an accurate copy then you have essentially produced a forged document at the behest of your FEO - personal data aside (very, very important), whats to prevent someone else putting in a scanned photo and buying a gun and ammo?

Never ever let anyone copy your certs - go somewhere else and lodge a complaint with your licensing department. Why do they take back certs after a varaitaion ?

The only requirement is to see that you are legally permitted to purchase ammo - nothing more.

Guest cookoff013

what next?

taking a DNA swab to check if you a "ne`er do well?"

keeping empty shells for ballistic testing "just in case"

if any one asks to take a copy of my licence i`d decline.

maybe its the rfd, providing evidence its asking to see licences before purchase of ammunition. it makes no sense with shotgun shells or S1 ammunition as its logged down !

crazy.

I was at forest lodge guns middle of last week . And to be honest I paid no mind to it until now but there was a big hand written sign on the door saying " shotgun certificate must be shown before any cartridges purchased " I will ask next time I go in . See whats its all about .it could be something completely different . But worth an ask .

Edited by stevo

If you order online, shops normally request a copy of the front page of your licence before they process the order - mainly on 1st time orders only - so personally I wouldn't be upset if somebody did the same if I was buying face to face.

See the 6th point down - it is illegal in most cases to sell cartridges without seeing a SGC:-

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/aboutus/aboutus-depts/aboutus-depts-intel/aboutus-depts-firearmslic/aboutus-depts-firearmslic-thelaw.htm

I think chaps this is all to do with the track and trace so me for example buy from cz explosia the powder all boxes r numbered in 10 kilo boxes I then make them into cartridges then I give them a batch number say I now sell 5 000 to mr smith of woods lane so in my book gets put those details of mr smith and address and that given batch number basically alough I may know you for say 3 years maybe last night you got your cert revoked I could get done for not seeing your cert today and sold you carts if in any doubt at all ring your solicitor

.....got a new police FEO officer about here and he is demanding that we take photo copy's of everyone's SGC..........

Ridiculous and wrong.

Something should be done about this for the sake of your RFD who will surely sell less cartridges than the bloke up the road who has not been told to ask this of his customers.

If they insist on seeing an SGC, they have no right to take a copy. It contravenes the Data Protection Act. Once they have seen that someone is entitled to buy cartridges, there is no lawful purpose for retaining that information.

I was told that my driving licence needed to be copied at a Building Society - I was opening another account, although I already had two other accounts at that branch. I told them that it was illegal, but they said they always did it. I told them to take a copy and I would make a formal complaint and also report it to the Data Commissioner. I made it clear that I was happy for them to proceed as I would be financially recompensed by them after my complaint. They then decided not to copy it.

As he says, the FEO is exceeding his authority and the RFD the above by doing as requested.

I think chaps this is all to do with the track and trace so me for example buy from cz explosia the powder all boxes r numbered in 10 kilo boxes I then make them into cartridges then I give them a batch number say I now sell 5 000 to mr smith of woods lane so in my book gets put those details of mr smith and address and that given batch number basically alough I may know you for say 3 years maybe last night you got your cert revoked I could get done for not seeing your cert today and sold you carts if in any doubt at all ring your solicitor

It's nothing to do with 'seeing' your SGC, but having your SGC photocopied. No one resents showing their SGC for buying cartridges, which has been an obligation for some time, but nowhere is there an obligation to have ones SGC photocopied, whatever a FEO claims.