New car tax rules

bluesj

If you are going to use the number plate as the proof of Car Tax , you will get three Range Rovers in London , Manchester and Newquay all cloned on the same plate with one car with Tax ,Insurance and MOT. The police ANPR system will check the plate and confirm they are legal! the only way they will be found out is if they are stopped and the VIN plate is checked against the DVLA system. They will never be found as long as they agree to never meet ??????????

Streetwise?????????????

Edited by pigeon controller

As far as I can make out you will no longer have a disc in your car and when you sell the car you cannot sell it with tax. Then when you send in the v5 they will refund any FULL months remaining and the you tax your new car from the beginning of the month you got it. So if you change in the middle of the month you loose the remainder of the months tax and the pay for half a month when you never owned the car any way so dvla get an extra months money out of you! I had a quick work out and it's about 170 million a year they'll get!

The police anpr cameras have clone checking facilities. If a range rover in London hits a camera and 10 mins later it hits the camera in yorkshire the system knows that's an impossible journey so both cars get markers to be stopped.

If you don't declare your car off road then you automatically get fined. There will be no changes to the numberplates.

The police anpr cameras have clone checking facilities. If a range rover in London hits a camera and 10 mins later it hits the camera in yorkshire the system knows that's an impossible journey so both cars get markers to be stopped.

If you don't declare your car off road then you automatically get fined. There will be no changes to the numberplates.

Thanks for the intel, I'll have to think of another system??????????

no more buying cars with road tax i am in the trade doing repairs and there is talk that the driver will be fined as well as the owner how do i stand if the owner says its taxed and its not how can i check our internet is not 100% in this area this is another way to make criminals of all of us.

Im going with a james bond style roll over with a few different numbers of the same marques and hope they are near me, or buy the same car as you neighbour and see if they spot you share number plates.....

Strange you should mention rolling no plates, my mate and his wife were on the motorway the other week just coming toward the end of road works and a car shot passed them,he tells me that he said to his wife "did you see that" and she said "what? the number plate changing" apparently the car with IOM plates on them changed and they both saw it.

At least a number plate was still displayed unlike some people I know with flip up bike number plates. Wouldn't promote that kind of behaviour..... :whistling: Seems this new taxation is a nice way to increase profit with the huge savings that will be made to the whole process. ANPR might need a larger roll out which would cancel the saving out and the rates of duty stay the same to compensate, or increase as would be the case to cover policing investment be it parking attendants or police checking your details.

Edited by onatangent

I wonder if we will see a greater incidence of number plate cloning now. Seems like an ideal way around this. Find someone with the same car in the same colour - clone their plate. ANPR will pick up a vehicle with paid up tax and insurance. Of course, if they do it properly, and if there are enough ANPR cameras around, they can flag up any vehicles which show up simultaneously in two locations. But more ANPR means yet more opportunity to spy on our movements in a highly granular way.

no more buying cars with road tax i am in the trade doing repairs and there is talk that the driver will be fined as well as the owner how do i stand if the owner says its taxed and its not how can i check our internet is not 100% in this area this is another way to make criminals of all of us.

phone the dvla?

I wonder if we will see a greater incidence of number plate cloning now. Seems like an ideal way around this. Find someone with the same car in the same colour - clone their plate. ANPR will pick up a vehicle with paid up tax and insurance. Of course, if they do it properly, and if there are enough ANPR cameras around, they can flag up any vehicles which show up simultaneously in two locations. But more ANPR means yet more opportunity to spy on our movements in a highly granular way.

It's a pain in the rear when you're the victim. Took loads of paperwork to get me off the hook - parking - when it happened. Fortunately, I was in the RAF at the time and my 'alibi' proved to be cast iron. Must say though that on the second occasion they must have recorded the details of the first as the hassle was minimal. Think they must have caught the culprit as it all went quiet after the second time.

with regards to selling/buying and the tax not being transferable, please bear in mind that untill the DVLA recieve the ammended V5 for the vehicle they wont know its been sold...

so, lets say that everyone involved is on top form and the ammended V5 goes in the post the minute its filled out... at best, royal mail will have it with the DVLA the next day. pressuming that its processed straight away, and DVLA refund your money within an hour of opening, that should give you more than enough time to get the car home while its still taxed....

just a thought...