Windy

Maddaftspaniel

Had a good windy day today.Took out an old (as in long standing!) friend who is a CPSA registered coach who has not shot live game by choice for over 20 years, but decided he would like to watch me shoot. We went to a wheat stubble that had a bit of traffic, and I showed him the basics.To cut a long story short, after I had a couple of shots he decided to have a go, and that was my shooting over for the afternoon, couldn't get my gun back!

The REALLY good bit, he couldn't hit a cows **** with a paddle! Happy days and we both had a good laugh.

I agree, a bit of wind and overcast is good pigeon shooting. However yesterday it was blowing a gale and the bird were not interested in the dozen shell decoys I had out. Most of them were flying high, and in all directions. I tried changing my decoy pattern a few times, to no avail. I managed to take down a juvenile who came in for a look. I put him on the flapper which helped a little, but they still would not come within 50 yards. I even packed up my hide, and hid in the woods, but they still didn't come in close enough.

without doubt far more movement when windy...maybe it is more enjoyable to fly around??Also great for decoying 'coz in addition to more traffic they seem to find it harder to know where the gunshots are coming from....wind also helps decoying as you KNOW which direction they will land,makes patterns more effective etc..