What would stop you going on the 1st ?

marsh man

Looking at the posts for the new season I can sense the excitement building up for the big day, but how serious would something has to be to stop you going . I can understand if its illness or a bereavement but even then it would have to be a serious illness or someone very close. A few years back when the 1st was on a Saturday my brother in laws daughter got married and like all good husbands I had to go , but it didn't mean I had to stay I told my wife I would give it till 6.30pm and then I was going so I could be up the marsh by 7.30pm , as soon as the meal and speeches were over they all made there way to the main hall . I made the excuse I was going to the toilet and then I was on my way , I was running a bit late as I had a 20 mile journey to get to the marsh so for a laugh I left my suit and carnation in my button hole on , I just had to go home and get my dog , gun ,and boots and I was on my way , when I got to the marsh my two mates were waiting for me and when I got out of my motor all I had to do was put my water boots on . I had to be one of the best dressed wildfowlers out that night and the look on my mates face said it all. My wildfowling addiction was becoming serious. So come on guys tell us what stopped you going or didn't stop you going.

By far the worse thing I've done, is leave my wife throwing up down the toilet with a migraine to do morning flight on the first.

I still feel guilty about it, honestly,it was a low down selfish act, I'd have to admit.

She still remembers it, even after 30 years, which is strange as she can't recall where I put my stuffing thigh boots this February just gone.

I wouldn't do it now I'm certain, I'm no longer so immature, I've grown into a nicer person, I wouldn't do it now............ probably.

I got a telling off 26 years ago on the first for staring out of a delivery suite window and saying what a great evening it would be for a duck flight .

I dont know why I bothered staying , the wife only shouted and cursed at me until she had finished giving birth to our first daughter :lol:

To be honest I do not make a big thing of getting out on the first now, not even now I am shooting the foreshore I work a 4 on 4 off so get plenty of time to go , this year I am working and will not get down the marsh until the 5th.

Edited by fenboy

I won't be out as Kent has taken ALL my shooting and I can't afford £242 to join them lol ( it's a JOKE Gents ) Seriously enjoy your first where ever you are. To the OP having a busted ankle in plaster on crutches never stopped me in the past mind you it cost me a R/L chance at Pinks having folded the first I lost balance and ended flat on my back with a refracted ankle

Pinks who'd chase em

I will always go out on the 1st, its not about shooting a goose for me its just getting out and acknowledging the start of the season, seeing whats about, watching the sunrise and bird life, being there when the world wakes up, the peace and solitude.

Last year when the 1st was on a sunday and I could not shoot I still went out. It would have to be something major to stop me going.

I will always go out on the 1st, its not about shooting a goose for me its just getting out and acknowledging the start of the season, seeing whats about, watching the sunrise and bird life, being there when the world wakes up, the peace and solitude.

Last year when the 1st was on a sunday and I could not shoot I still went out. It would have to be something major to stop me going.

I have to agree with your sentiments about just being out, but dont forget the breakfast after and the urine taking in the cafe :lol::lol:

Regards

Harry

In nearly 50 years I have only missed a couple of firsts, once due to working in Sweden on the African- European bird migration project when I was catching wetland birds on the Tundra and a couple of times when I did not have a dog. Without a dog I rarely ever go shooting.

Perhaps the worst time I went shooting was when my daughter was born. The nurse said to me mother and daughter need to rest so it would be best if I left my visit until the next day. It was December and it was very cold and snowy. When I got home my inlaws had picked up my young son and taken him to their house. A mate came around and as we sat there looking out of the window at the driving snow we both had the same thoughts. Would the wigeon come into the marsh early tonight ? Within a couple of minuets we were on our way and ended up having one of the best wigeon \ teal flights I have ever had. I do not think mother inlaw was very impressed when she called around that evening and found me plucking a pile of wigeon!

Edited by anser2