British open garlands

umney531

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but they didn't improve the tracks this week ,they dumped a few ton of 50 mm road stone down and didn't roll it have you any idea how hard it is to drive a scooter or wheel chair over this they should have used 20 mm but were too tight

I do a fair bit with Headley Court (most of the guys I teach have lost 2 or 3 limbs) so understand but not experienced the issues. Compared to what the tracks where like 2/3 months ago it was improvement (you could have lost a wheel chair in some of the pot holes) they have tried but not obviously from you experience not got it right. If you write to them I'm sure they will take on board your points, it's very easy for the able or less able bodied to misunderstand the needs.

I challenged Nick Fellows to borrow a wheelchair and take himself around the corse, it was impossible my electric scooter now has a bent rear axle this didn't happen with John Dyson at last years British open he knows how to set a course that is suitable for disabled people. Steve Lovett obviously does not .

Sorry but this shoot had no wow factor every one you looked at looked like they were not enjoying it I was put off by starting on stand 2 which was leaning 30 deg in to a pond ,totally unsafe and dangerous .

Deershooter

How many grounds are wheel chair or disabled access friendly. Not many I've seen as most are on leased farm land and topography plays a big part in sporting courses. That then goes the ground is up and down rarely even.

I've been in plenty of cages that you could barely stand in never mind shoot due to the ground conditions.

Lad that occasionally shoots at my local ground has a electric scooter that has off-road capability and tyres and chassis strong enough to suit.

Figgy

The simple fact is, if they have a disabled class, then they must accommodate them .

I personally enjoyed the shoot but can understand the frustration of people who are physically unable to shoot some of the stands due to poor planning. I shot around with Deershooter and can understand why he did not enjoy the course. He had to shoot 3 of the stands totally different to everybody else on our squad and that could have been avoided if the access, or as on one stand, the angle of target been a little better thought about.

Hope that it is noted for other big shoots that have disabled classes shooting.

Just got back from the shoot and have to say even though I only shot 74/120 I really enjoyed it.It did cross my mind wondering how the stand where you shot the driven and then did a full turn for the away looper could be wheelchair friendly unless they were allowed to take it as an overhead.Nice to meet Sian, if only briefly. from Auntie.

The simple fact is, if they have a disabled class, then they must accommodate them .

I personally enjoyed the shoot but can understand the frustration of people who are physically unable to shoot some of the stands due to poor planning. I shot around with Deershooter and can understand why he did not enjoy the course. He had to shoot 3 of the stands totally different to everybody else on our squad and that could have been avoided if the access, or as on one stand, the angle of target been a little better thought about.

Hope that it is noted for other big shoots that have disabled classes shooting.

Enjoyed shooting the round with you Northern Gunner. I thought the targets were excellent. Your friend shot really well from the sitting position, I was really impressed.

Enjoyed shooting the round with you Northern Gunner. I thought the targets were excellent. Your friend shot really well from the sitting position, I was really impressed.

He did shoot well and was well chuffed because he won both the Sportstrap and the sporting for disabled sitting down. Really pleased for him as he is a real good bloke. He was shooting at Marne clay shoot today and had a mare!!! He must have peaked on Thursday lol.

Hope to catch up with again somewhere along the line.

Just got back from the shoot and have to say even though I only shot 74/120 I really enjoyed it.It did cross my mind wondering how the stand where you shot the driven and then did a full turn for the away looper could be wheelchair friendly unless they were allowed to take it as an overhead.Nice to meet Sian, if only briefly. from Auntie.

Will and I said exactly the same about the same stand.

The only thing I would say was that the description of the birds weren't exactly what ive seen at other grounds

How many grounds are wheel chair or disabled access friendly. Not many I've seen as most are on leased farm land and topography plays a big part in sporting courses. That then goes the ground is up and down rarely even.

I've been in plenty of cages that you could barely stand in never mind shoot due to the ground conditions.

Lad that occasionally shoots at my local ground has a electric scooter that has off-road capability and tyres and chassis strong enough to suit.

Figgy

Figgy I shoot Orston Shooting ground ,Grange Farm,Kibworth,Nottingham Shooting Ground,Northampron Shooting Ground ,Hepworth Hall , Kegworth,Bedford sporting targets , Beverly , if they can make a round suitable for the disabled garlands can bit Steve Lovett just didn't give us disabled shooters a thought !

Deershooter

Figgy I shoot Orston Shooting ground ,Grange Farm,Kibworth,Nottingham Shooting Ground,Northampron Shooting Ground ,Hepworth Hall , Kegworth,Bedford sporting targets , Beverly , if they can make a round suitable for the disabled garlands can bit Steve Lovett just didn't give us disabled shooters a thought !

Deershooter

To a certain degree thou surely the ground must take some responsibility for its access and choice of stands.

Not only that the cpsa too for picking that ground.

As the man that sets the stands can only use what land and space he is given.

Dont get me wrong I agree with you about the access. I mean even will tripped over a tree stump in the woodlands

I agree for major competitions all people should be catered for with good ground under foot. See sawing paving stones in cages are still quite common at some grounds I've visited. Along with gnarled tree roots sloppy muddy puddles and inclines.

Maybe next time they will do better.

The bigger grounds normally do have good access, Sporting targets was very good.

Figgy

this course that i set at garlands was a championship set of clays , thats probably why deershooter has a chip on his shoulder and couldnt hit as many as he wanted to .

disable access was taken into account as we had a site meeting a month before with cpsa and paul bailey who is in a wheelchair to travel the course and the only issues he had was if we had alot of rainfall prior to the event and the stand up the steps which he was happy to shoot from the ground stand , garlands clubhouse has ramps built inside and a downstairs kitchen and toilet designed for disabled access along with this i put two porta loos on the sporting course one was a fully disabled one , so please dont give me the **** that nothing was thought about

with all the positive comments coming back this is proibably been the best british open yet the atmosphere from you shooting guys was brilliant , yes it was relentless but nothing i dont put on a normal sunday only we didnt have 3 or 4 steady fill in stands

steve

i shot this round with Ben Wells who is in a motorised scooter, whilst a little rough under wheels, nothing that he couldn't manage around there,

I am not normally one for blowing smoke up peoples backsides, but I think Steve deserves more recognition for an awesome shoot!

I do have one little grumble though, No grounds near me have targets anywhere near as good as that!!!

I know a few people have said thats it for them with big comps, too tough for them, which is fair comment, if that is what they want to shoot, then its up to them, it is there hard earned money after all,

Personally, I shoot approx once or twice a month if I am lucky, but after shooting the British Open, I am going to make each shoot that I am lucky to do, a good one, and if I have to travel further afield to test myself properly, then so be it! :)

We had this conversation with the ground staff at Coniston yesterday about putting more testing targets on but it boils down to who shoots there the most that's spend there £££ at the club.

You'll never be able to please everyone :)

It's not just the bigger clubs Will,

Our little club has a former Skeet champion as a member who is always asking for harder targets, we have to keep explaining that whereas he is a very good shot, we are a small local club with members of all abilities,

Some are in their 70's who shoot because they still can,

If we put silly hard targets on then how will they cope?....you have to strike a balance.

HOWEVER.....If I was entering a Championship event I would expect the targets to be hard...with some silly hard.

If you are going to be English/British champion then you have to do it the hard way I'm afraid.

As far as disabled access, I wasnt there so feel it unfair to comment,

Ive shot at Orston and Sporting Targets and Hodnet,

Orston is a very disabled friendly club and to a point Sporting Targets is, but I wouldnt like to get round Hodnet in a wheelchair, yet that is considered one of the best sporting set ups in the country

:shaun: