How ready are the young'uns?

hedd-wyn

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh nice one!

Well I've got a cocker with a gunshot issue so still working on that, and the other I've just been given so we'll see. The others are too young to start yet.

Not at all sure I'll have a dog on the shoot at all this year :/

Edited by bigbird

Two ready and raring to go for the field trials, and a young pup who may see a bit of action later in the season

I've got one hopefully going trialling this season - do you take your trialling dogs on any shoots? People tell me differing things and I haven't got the faintest clue what's right and what's not :/

Ive been to heaven and hell with my young lab, but through hard work tears and laughter I couldnt be happier with the progress we've made and she will be out with me on the 1st.

So with the season getting closer by the day how happy are you with your newbies?

Thank goodness no, I have sacrificed to many opportunities in the name of best training pracice over the last two seasons. Best of luck I resolve to get another pup soon so I never have a dog gap again

I am no trailer but how on earth can you enter a dog that's no real shooting experience yet? Is that not like putting a boxer in the ring only having done bag work and done no previous sparing?

Hi Kent. She's been shot over rough shooting, but people have told us not to put her in a beating line or picking up, hence the question

Hi Kent. She's been shot over rough shooting, but people have told us not to put her in a beating line or picking up, hence the question

One quick way to ruin your Trial dog, you want to try taking them on grouse, 3 days & they're wild. However it is a great way to gain experience & game sense for a young dog if you lack regular shooting opportunities. You can tighten them up again later.

One quick way to ruin your Trial dog, you want to try taking them on grouse, 3 days & they're wild. However it is a great way to gain experience & game sense for a young dog if you lack regular shooting opportunities. You can tighten them up again later.

Thank you for that Perce :good:

I am not really 100% qualified to say as I have little interest in trials but Rough shooting is what you might want for a spaniel and Picking up (if you could pick and choose birds) might be ideal for a retriever I should have thought.

What makes a good dog for me in the field makes a pretty poor scoring trial dog you see

I've got one hopefully going trialling this season - do you take your trialling dogs on any shoots? People tell me differing things and I haven't got the faintest clue what's right and what's not :/

I do. Picking up mainly. Just letting them sit and watch and have the occasional challenging retrieve. I have an old shooting dog I use for the bulk of the work. I have used them for beating to get them going, but I don't think its for every dog and I'd say it'd have a negative impact if I was to do it regularly. I joined a walked up shoot this season, hopefully thats as close to a trial scenario as I can get locally.

Ah ha!! I thought it was you! How's that lovely golden cocker going?

Which one? All four of them are gold lol!!!! I'm struggling to put a name to your dogs face though :-s

My ESS dog will be 13 mths when I take him on his first beating day on partridge think he,s ready cos he is showing a lack of interest in training but before I get him out on a working day we will have a few dogging inn days to see how he copes with other dogs a people about if he is sound then off we go.

Ive been to heaven and hell with my young lab, but through hard work tears and laughter I couldnt be happier with the progress we've made and she will be out with me on the 1st.

So with the season getting closer by the day how happy are you with your newbies?

Err no :no:

Mine has been and continues to be a complete **** my previous two dogs were a joy to train , this one has done my head in and I fear he is never going to make a gun dog.

To be honest I think I should give up on him but I am too soft to move him on .

That's a shame, what did the trainer have to say about him?

There's always next season Fenboy don't give up :good:

The trainer found him hard work , it got to the stage where I was just not prepared to keep shelling money out on the dog , so he will be what he will be and I will have to live with it.

He will come on the marsh this year as he is good in the water and has a decent enough nose and anything is better than nothing out there , unfortunately my cocker now has cancer so his working days are over .

I am gutted the way this one has turned out to be honest , hopefully he will prove to be decent fowling companion though.

Hard work in what way, Fenboy?

I dont have enough time :no:

But the biggest problem is retrieving , he just will bring nothing straight back , he will either stand off with it , run around with it or come within a foot or two and then leg it if I go towards him .

After a while I can coax him right in but as soon as I move my hand a inch he just legs it again , he will not have eye contact with me when he has a retrieve .

Put him on a light check lead and he is better , I had him trailing one for months, take it off and its straight back to square one , tried going away from him , lying down and calling him in , food treats for return etc, etc ,etc nothing has worked .

In my experiance Lab trial dogs work for 5 min, working dogs work all day. Trial dogs are staight out straigt back with littie hunting. Picking up you want a good hard hunting dog that will put birds in the bag. Its only my thaughts, I'm sure some will disagree, Only saying. :) :)

Ronnie

I dont have enough time :no:

But the biggest problem is retrieving , he just will bring nothing straight back , he will either stand off with it , run around with it or come within a foot or two and then leg it if I go towards him .

After a while I can coax him right in but as soon as I move my hand a inch he just legs it again , he will not have eye contact with me when he has a retrieve .

Put him on a light check lead and he is better , I had him trailing one for months, take it off and its straight back to square one , tried going away from him , lying down and calling him in , food treats for return etc, etc ,etc nothing has worked .

That's really interesting - I have no experience (least of all with labs). Could you appeal to his belly perhaps?