Good days shooting with the pump

Jordanrussell123

Picture?

Some people will not love you for it as generally speaking the hare population in the UK is not as strong as it was, they have a long breeding season and will often have levrets so many people will not shoot them.

I tend to take one a year the population is strong and healthy around here and has been for a very long time, i got a big old buck with the muzzle loader its a strong gamey meat, I tend to joint it up, boil the meat from the bones, then make a stew that slow cooks for a long while.

You can walk upto them in the seat and almost step on them sometimes. They don't go far as they know they can out run you. Just hope it hasn't got leverets somewhere. :no:

I bet many dependant young have died this summer be it rabbits , pigeons , foxes , and a few leverets , but I guess not by your hands as you must put your gun away through summer and breeding seasons (if they exist anymore). To some farmers hares are big rabbits and want them controlled as vermin .

Some places are covered in them and some have few. We don't have many but I will harvest one if someone wants one.

In dense populations they can become a pest.

In forestry they can destroy many a planted tree.

I use to take a few mountain hare for someone. He preferred them to brown hare!

If this feller has taken a first with his new shotgun then he will be chuffed. Let him learn and enjoy the gift that are....hares.

Shame we can not bow hunt, I always thought hares would make for fine stalking with a bow! But that is just me and my unconventional view and a rejection of popular peer pressure lol.

U.

I bet many dependant young have died this summer be it rabbits , pigeons , foxes , and a few leverets , but I guess not by your hands as you must put your gun away through summer and breeding seasons (if they exist anymore). To some farmers hares are big rabbits and want them controlled as vermin .

The only thing I shoot through the summer is pigeons, that is in Spring and at harvest. I don't feel the need to kill for the sake of it. As for eating summer hares and leverets no thanks. I bet most people on here don't even eat them at all. Certainly don't think shooting a leveret in the summer in anything to be proud of.

Breeding season do exist and its seems to be an excuse these days to shoot anything. Have you seen leverets in the dead of winter or weeks old rabbit in winter. I think that's a no.

I have always followed the seasons but I guess thats old hat now. I bet you will be putting your gun away for winter now.

The only thing I shoot through the summer is pigeons, that is in Spring and at harvest. I don't feel the need to kill for the sake of it. As for eating summer hares and leverets no thanks. I bet most people on here don't even eat them at all. Certainly don't think shooting a leveret in the summer in anything to be proud of.

Breeding season do exist and its seems to be an excuse these days to shoot anything. Have you seen leverets in the dead of winter or weeks old rabbit in winter. I think that's a no.

I have always followed the seasons but I guess thats old hat now. I bet you will be putting your gun away for winter now.

personally I don't really get much enjoyment shooting much through the summer anymore. I've shot my fair share of big bags in the blazing heat , watching them start to rot with fly blow before my eyes. I'm a man who's been there and done that when it comes to most fieldsports and certainly (not anymore) pull the trigger for the sake of it. And if you've never seen young rabbits in mid winter your still very green behind the old lugs my friend. All I was stating is , if you think young have not starved to death for the pleasure you seek in shooting pigeons your very much mistaking .

personally I don't really get much enjoyment shooting much through the summer anymore. I've shot my fair share of big bags in the blazing heat , watching them start to rot with fly blow before my eyes. I'm a man who's been there and done that when it comes to most fieldsports and certainly (not anymore) pull the trigger for the sake of it. And if you've never seen young rabbits in mid winter your still very green behind the old lugs my friend. All I was stating is , if you think young have not starved to death for the pleasure you seek in shooting pigeons your very much mistaking .

;-)

The only time when i used to shoot in the summer when i was 12 year old with my first airgun, shooting sparrows when they were on the GL for ferret food and young rabbits to eat, this was a time when sparrows were in large numbers a few decades back now.

You say you are experienced in fieldsports well for me the hare was something that you coursed and not shot. I used to travel upto norfolk in the 80's and help a vet on organised coursing events, we used to stitch the dogs feet after they had cut them on the flint after a days coursing. Transport and facilitiies laid on by the farmer, they were good days.

So green behind the lugs not so sure, but I must be if I haven't seen leverets in the dead of winter.

Point being they may be able to be pregnant all year round but they are not successful in the winter months so between March and September being when they are successful in producing young. The winter months mean mortality is high due to food, weather etc.

If a species is able to produce young successfully in this time then they should be left to breed unless they are in plague proportions and you are trying to reduce the number dramatically which as hares have an overall decreasing population, which with anyone with theirs eyes open will know it's farming practices, would respect these times to leave the population alone.

As i quoted before I have never seen young leverets in the depth of winter for all the time I spend out. All the time I have been rough shooting, beating, walking the dogs, wildfowling, pigeon shooting, deer stalking, lamping, I have never seen young leverets in winter.

Point being they may be able to be pregnant all year round but they are not successful in the winter months so between March and September being when they are successful in producing young. The winter months mean mortality is high due to food, weather etc.

If a species is able to produce young successfully in this time then they should be left to breed unless they are in plague proportions and you are trying to reduce the number dramatically which as hares have an overall decreasing population, which with anyone with theirs eyes open will know it's farming practices, would respect these times to leave the population alone.

As i quoted before I have never seen young leverets in the depth of winter for all the time I spend out. All the time I have been rough shooting, beating, walking the dogs, wildfowling, pigeon shooting, deer stalking, lamping, I have never seen young leverets in winter.

I can't recall seeing leverets but you said rabbits to which I've seen many . Anyways my whole piont is that you made a statement about shooting a hare that may have dependant young. Which I agree would be a shame . But people in green house should not throw stones. Besides you used to participate in somthing which is know deemed a cruel blood sport .

Things like this often reminds me of Christ's words.

7 Stop judginga that you may not be judged; 2 for with the judgment you are judging, you will be judged,b and with the measure that you are measuring out, they will measure out to you.c 3 Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brothers eye but do not notice the rafter in your own eye?d 4 Or how can you say to your brother, Allow me to remove the straw from your eye, when look! a rafter is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to remove the straw from your brothers eye.

I can't recall seeing leverets but you said rabbits to which I've seen many . Anyways my whole piont is that you made a statement about shooting a hare that may have dependant young. Which I agree would be a shame . But people in green house should not throw stones. Besides you used to participate in somthing which is know deemed a cruel blood sport .

Haha, deemed a cruel sport by the bunny huggers and labour. You said you had participated in a full range of fieldsports which by that statement shows that you have no experience in such matters.

UD, Nice you believe in Christ but I don't he was aware of shooting leverets in the summer.

Haha, deemed a cruel sport by the bunny huggers and labour. You said you had participated in a full range of fieldsports which by that statement shows that you have no experience in such matters.

UD, Nice you believe in Christ but I don't he was aware of shooting leverets in the summer.

funny enough I've done my fair with running dogs old bean. As I've said when it comes to fieldsports I've done a lot.and I've made a hell of a lot of mistakes along the way including shooting things that weren't my intended target spicies . But you just don't get my point for some bizzare reason. Underdog certainly does. My only point was regardless of any else , do you believe that you have never killed any animal that may have dependant young.