A good outing but strange rabbit behaviour.

FalconFN

There was a slight northerly breeze and no moon so I decided to nip out last night with my night vision and Falcon air rifle. I went to a nearby permission that has mixed hay, wheat and turf fields as it has all now been cut and I can finally see the rabbits. I started on the turf and saw about 20 in total but I just couldn't get close without spooking them, I bagged 4 but I was a bit miffed as I hadn't shot it for a while and expected more. I moved onto the cut hay where there were a few more about, but again they were very wary and after wouldn't hang around long enough to get one than one in each place. I added another 5 and dropped them back at the car.

Now there was only wheat stubble left and as the breeze had dropped to almost nothing I didn't expect much more action. I scanned the field and saw plenty of eye shine all over the place but mainly well away from the grass on which I was standing, so I slowly tried to make my way onto the stubble without making too much noise - obviously not succeeding, but when I scanned again I was amazed to see that most of the rabbits had stayed put despite my noisy approach. I got within range of the nearest group and dropped the first rabbit, I expected it's pal to bounce away as all the others had done but it stayed put and it was added to the bag. I then made my way around the field, walking quite slowly, but it has to be said, very noisily, and the same happened time and time again, the rabbits just refused to budge and I added another 10 before overflowing bag (and aching shoulder) made me call it a night.

I've never known rabbits to behave like that and I can't think of a reason why they would stay put on the stubble but not on grass. Do they not like running on stubble? Do they feel safer it they can clearly hear the threat and locate it 40 yards away rather than sensing a threat 'somewhere' nearby? I ended the night with 19 of which the five smallest are in my freezer and the 14 biggest at the butchers.

Incidentally, I saw at least 5 different foxes and a badger so the rabbits should be wary of predators. Very odd.

Edited by FalconFN

• 2 weeks later...