Are the ducks ready?

ollie

I was having a debate with a fellow shooter last week about going out on the 1st September to shoot ducks. Personally I normally leave it a couple of weeks until I start shooting our flight pond. What about you guys?

How are the ducks looking in your areas? I was having a walk along a river a couple of miles from my flight pond a couple of weeks ago and there were still Mallard chicks on the water. So this is another reason for maybe waiting until Mid September.

I also know where there are some late broods in the flapping stage and last year I didn't start till October and its looking the same this year , but there are getting some good ducks about on the wing for those who will be out , but please be a bit selective at what you shoot at.

On the foreshore the ducks will be okay, inland that will be another matter. The estuary ducks are a combination of locally bred mallard and migratory teal during the first few weeks. As no mallard actually breed on the estuary itself and any teal will have a flown a long way to get here I take it as all are ready.

You do have to be aware of what your shooting at even on the marsh These birds might not nest on the true salltings but they are very close to it and fully wild in the main part but there is a big difference on flight ponds. Why should anyone want to shoot an inland flightpond so soon? Your only going to spoil it for later even if your choosing your shots to my mind its one flight now and perhaps loose half a dozen later on

Talking of late broods, I watched 5 mallard chicks hatch out on the 18th August!

They've probably all been snaffled by now though.

You have to pick and chose your shots all year whether it's early season wildfowl or low flying game on a shoot day. I'd happily settle for a mallard on the first.

Edited by wildfowler.250

Ducks flying well on the Marsh and also on our pond, regularly we are seeing 250+ mallard coming off when we feed! They are putting away a fair bit of wheat, we are into our 2nd ton already, good job we buy it from the farm our pond is on so is cheap!

1st shoot on the pond planned for late September with a strict bag limit of 2 brace per gun to make people pick there shots a bit.

Most seasons there will be young flapper mallard about until well into September indeed i have seen mallard ducklings in every month of the year except December and January. Its up to the wildfowler to make sure he spares any immatture duck he encounters while shooting.

Edited by anser2

Sadly have not managed to have a mooch at present but there is always Sunday

Not sure about the 1st maybe an evening walk about at hill but 9th or 10th I want to get out under the moon

you going to Poulton on Saturday for pattern testing and BBQ I should be there with the gang to test my 3.5 bb loads in my xtreame2

Sadly have not managed to have a mooch at present but there is always Sunday

Not sure about the 1st maybe an evening walk about at hill but 9th or 10th I want to get out under the moon

you going to Poulton on Saturday for pattern testing and BBQ I should be there with the gang to test my 3.5 bb loads in my xtreame2

Hopefully should be there Saturday, working in the am but aiming to come over after. Already pattern tested so no need to do it there. Will bring my brood and no doubt they will want to bring assorted guns to have a crack at a few clays!

Frampton very quiet (birds that is!) walked the from the northern end to Splatt Weds eve and sat by the pipe until it got dark, about 10 ducks dropped into the splashes and 1 skein of canadas went near the 100 yard marker but at least 2 shots high.

See you Saturday

Talking of late broods, I watched 5 mallard chicks hatch out on the 18th August!

They've probably all been snaffled by now though.

You have to pick and chose your shots all year whether it's early season wildfowl or low flying game on a shoot day. I'd happily settle for a mallard on the first.

Just last night I saw a fresh brood on our village duck pond that aren't more than 2-3 days old. I'd suggest they are too young to shoot at this stage. ;o)

All of the ducks on our flight ponds (wild, we don't put any down) are fully grown adults that I've seen since none nest on our ponds. That said, we don't start shooting them in earnest until the middle of October anyway since the ponds are in the middle of pheasant drives and we don't want to shift the pheasants.

rick

All of the ducks on our flight ponds (wild, we don't put any down) are fully grown adults that I've seen since none nest on our ponds. middle of October anyway since the ponds are in the middle of

rick

Have you thought about putting a few Mallard nesting tubes in? We put some on ours 2 years ago and 1st year half were used, this year all 4 were used once with 2 of the tubes being used for a second brood. Well worth the effort in my opinion.

Have you thought about putting a few Mallard nesting tubes in? We put some on ours 2 years ago and 1st year half were used, this year all 4 were used once with 2 of the tubes being used for a second brood. Well worth the effort in my opinion.

You will get still more out of them if you hatch some harvested eggs

Will not even dream of going out on the 1st. Will leave em till October. Think they should start with the pheasants on oct 1st personally.

I fully agree "rich" but that might sound a bit two face because over the years I have shot my share in September, but last year I didn't go in September and I wont go this year unless things change towards the end of the month. The last 3 or 4 years I went on the first was really for old times sake and apart from having a shot or two at pigeons no duck tempted me to raise my gun. If the guys who go on the first pick and chose what there happy with that's fine, but to walk dykes up and shoot ducks that can hardly take off don't give any wild fowler any satisfaction what so ever and should be left alone.

I feel with the changing seasons we get now, all game birds should start a month later and finish a month later, always seem to get the cold in February and March, feel pheasants should be for example 1st nov to 1st march, saw a brood of day old French partridge 3days ago, sum how I don't think they will be ready for the 1st of sept! Just feel birds need them them extra few weeks these days.