Shore/Green crabs

hedd-wyn

I took my nephew crabbing on Monday, with a terrible hangover. We used one of those £10 spring cages baited with some fish heads.

We pulled in some large Shore and European Green crabs that were all put back. But it got me thinking are they edible?

It wasn't until I read a few articles online that I realised that they were indeed edible and, Rick Stein even made a broth with them (whole recipe online)

Has anyone here ever tried them? Not too sure I would to be honest

Cant see any reason not to eat them, we make a lot of crab soup from brown crab remains, sure you could use whole shore crabs, but you would need a lot, read a recipe for deep fried "soft" shore crab eaten whole, perhaps Bass would like them deep fried aswell

:lol: yes, seen that recipe as well.

Yes you are correct, there is a size limit on Velvet/Swimmer Crabs, Spider Crabs, and the Brown Crab.

But not the common Shore Crab, or the European Green Crab. If there was I doubt any bass would be caught in the menai Straights. Its because they are commonly used fir bait.

• 2 weeks later...