Alive with mackerel

henry d

if it stays like that youll have to rename it rock rock or shorten it to rock , good numbers up here again but still no decent Pollack its getting a bit worrying

There are a few good names for it lined up already.

It's the end of the school holidays and a recent bank holiday with the lack of some good high tides the rubbish collection is bad.

People that can't take their own rubbish with them shouldn't be allowed out!

Pity they don't teach the basic principle these days of "if you can carry it there full, you can carry it home empty".

Mind some shooters are just as bad, leaving cartridges everywhere behind them. My local shoot has bins at every stand and some still break the gun sharp to eject the cartridges out and leave them where they fall instead of opening it slowly and catching them and dropping in the bin. Just bad manners.

Went to Pwllheli yesterday in the hope of catching some. Nothing doing though.

I didn't even get my rod out of the car, just looking at the sea and the folk that were fishing told me enough.

Same story today. :(

Did actually see one good shoal of them off Criccieth harbour wall. Nobody caught any.

• 3 weeks later...

Fished Hengistbury Head long groyne yesterday evening on the incoming tide for a couple of hours until darkness. Not a mackerel in sight. One fish caught, a red gurnard on a dexter wedge - returned for another day. Our baits, bluey and squid, weren't touched either on the bottom or with the float. Bit disappointing after the 20min fast walk along the beach each way but a lovely location to wet the lines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...