OS maps - not sure which one to buy

beesley121

Hi guys,

Anyone know anything about maps?

Got a perm with a lot of acreage in wales, I'm meeting up with a feo from north wales on Wednesday but want to ask him about other land in the area so thought I would show him a OS map with the boundaries marked off

What do you think? Is that the easiest way to do it

I know some of north wales as I trained as a mountain leader up there, would love to shoot in an area that's as wild! you're very lucky :good:

It's a 1:25000 map you want, I'll find the sheet number for you too if you like (but will need some idea of the rough area - i.e. "just north of Bethesda" or similar)

it would also pay you to learn how to read one properly (assuming you don't), as I'm sure you know, people die up there each winter. If you feel it would help, I recommend a book called "map and compas" to start with and mountain training's (formerly mountain leader training) "navigation in the mountains" if you really want to overload on info.

One last suggestion; get the "active" or waterproof map, even they don't last all that long with the weather up there but it's better than having a useless soggy wet mess after 10 mins :whistling: mine have managed about 5 weekends up there each but they do tend to get some hammer

Rule number 1 of OS maps is that whichever area you want will always be on the overlap so you'll have to buy two maps. :lol:

I was taught in the services that to employ a map reference then first you find the Easting then find the Northing or go across the map then up the map or, in service terms, you've got to get over her before you can get up her :good:

Rule number 1 of OS maps is that whichever area you want will always be on the overlap so you'll have to buy two maps. :lol:

I was taught in the services that to employ a map reference then first you find the Easting then find the Northing or go across the map then up the map or, in service terms, you've got to get over her before you can get up her :good:

Very good tip and easy to remember.

One I will always remember is 'some people have Curley brown hair till partly bald'

We have an OS map with all our land highlighted in pink ( if it was good enough for the Empire it's good enough for us) Makes things so much easier to show exact boundaries than try and explain them. Helps newbies and guests on our rough shoot also when we send them off to block off a wood etc.

“Along the passage and up the stairs” before you do the above business! :)

Ordnance Survey GetaMap is quite good, but you have to sign up to it, although it's free. It could save you a bit of money from not buying a map.

I used this, on a large screen monitor, and got the areas up, print screen and save. Just keep moving the map to cover the area, print screening every time, and use the Microsoft link app to stich them all together. You then have a great tailored map