Used Shotgun Advertisements, take care

joecash

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You do see a few guns wrongly described. Not all dealers and certainly not all owners get it right all the time. Guns have been sold as one "grade /model"the owner beliveing to be true. As to cobbled together guns, hybrids if you like Iwould think would be in the minority. Prehaps sites should have a function for such suspects tobereported.

Some years ago, I travelled 100 miles + to look as a gun advertised as a Merkel 303E - fully cased with accessories etc. Something I had been looking for for some time.

When I got there, it was a Merkel 203E (they are not all that easy to tell apart from photos as the differences are largely internal, ejectors, bolting etc. - and I had not seen a 203E before). The 203E is a lower grade model and should command a lower price. The person I had spoken to on the phone didn't know Merkel's model range (few do) and they are not specified on the gun. The claimed case (which had been described to me as manufacturers leather) was in fact a plastic after market, and the accessories again cheap after market.

It turned out the dealer was selling for a client, and hadn't checked the description provided by the client properly.

In the end, I bought the gun (as it happens it fitted like a glove) at a discount to the original price, and I still have it many years later. I maybe should have walked away on principle, but actually I don't regret it as it is a nice gun, and if you want a Merkel, there's not much choice around. I had already passed on a few as wrong barrel length or other wrong features etc. and new they are now eyewateringly expensive.

It was yet another example as so many on this forum of the dealer not doing his stuff properly.

I'm not going to 'name and shame' because when the error was pointed out said dealer was immediately very apologetic and assisted in negotiations (by phone) with the vendor. He had also apparently not seen the case before as it had only been described to the dealer and was only brought to his shop when I was going to view.

Now when contemplating travelling some way to look at a gun, I try and spend some time by phone to the vendor - and also get clear if its the vendor's own stock, or they are selling for a client. If the latter I try to check the accuracy of all the descriptions.

So the dealer was negligent in listing and selling, as item unchecked or verified. Of course he would apologise his professionalism and reputation have been held to account. What if someone else bought it who doesn't have your knowledge.. is that ok as it would never be exposed? Go to a dealer to buy a 5 series BMW and he sells you a 3 series, you would be slagging him off in every motoring forum you can!

I do hope he checks his guns are unloaded before he lets people handle them?

"A Medalist, from F.I.A.S. Made in Italy to the specifications of Brownings importers. Can't recall what FIAS stands for without looking it up."

If you are going to apply this argument, you could apply the same to the 325 / 425 and the other variants made in Japan but sold under the Browning trade name !

The Medalist was marketed under the Browning banner as an entry level o/u. There was never any suggestion it was made in Belgium alongside the B25 and anyone who confused the two really shouldnt be allowed into a gun shop without a grown up.

Edited by JJsDad

"A Medalist, from F.I.A.S. Made in Italy to the specifications of Brownings importers. Can't recall what FIAS stands for without looking it up."

If you are going to apply this argument, you could apply the same to the 325 / 425 and the other variants made in Japan but sold under the Browning trade name !

The Medalist was marketed under the Browning banner as an entry level o/u. There was never any suggestion it was made in Belgium alongside the B25 and anyone who confused the two really shouldnt be allowed into a gun shop without a grown up.

I'm not looking for an argument, nor did I infer there ever was any suggestion it was made in Belgium, merely stating things as they are. Neither am I inferring the Medalist is a poor gun, merely pointing out in a topic about misleading adverts, that the Medalist, often advertised as a Browning, isn't.

As far as I'm aware, the 325/425 etc were made by a company licensed to do so by Browning, under that name; the Medalist never was. It was marketed by the importers of Browning, and made to specifications they ( the importers) made to FIAS, which made the gun.

Edited by Scully

The 325/425 and indeed the 525 and IIRC the 725. Which are made by miroku (who part own the browning name with FN herstal) it was FN who were liscenced by Mr browning to produce the B25 for markets outside the US, so even a belgian B25 isn't a real browning...... Unless made by the long defunct browning arms company in the us.

Regardless of your opinion of the medalist it was sold as a browning product just like the cygnet is an Aston Martin !

Go to a dealer to buy a 5 series BMW and he sells you a 3 series, you would be slagging him off in every motoring forum you can!

And you would be a total moron..... Or perhaps just swayed by the option of a different car when he saw them "in the flesh" plenty of people go to buy a particular thing and walk out with something else, plenty of sellers of anything from TV's to cars don't know enough about what they are selling and are only human and forget/load the wrong photo or descriptions. As long as when made aware the description is wrong it gets changed no harm done.

And you would be a total moron..... Or perhaps just swayed by the option of a different car when he saw them "in the flesh" plenty of people go to buy a particular thing and walk out with something else, plenty of sellers of anything from TV's to cars don't know enough about what they are selling and are only human and forget/load the wrong photo or descriptions. As long as when made aware the description is wrong it gets changed no harm done.

Thank you for a very sensible 'voice of reason' post. I might add that at no time did the dealer cause any safety concerns (as alluded to in the post to which you were responding).

The 325/425 and indeed the 525 and IIRC the 725. Which are made by miroku (who part own the browning name with FN herstal) it was FN who were liscenced by Mr browning to produce the B25 for markets outside the US, so even a belgian B25 isn't a real browning...... Unless made by the long defunct browning arms company in the us.

Regardless of your opinion of the medalist it was sold as a browning product just like the cygnet is an Aston Martin !

Fair enough, but regardless of yours or indeed my opinion, FIAS, the makers of the Medalist, unlike the other guns you mention above, were never licensed by Browning as far as I'm aware, regardless of being sold as a Browning product. The gun has never had anything to do with Browning but rather the importers of Browning, whoever they were at the time.

Scully - I believe you have a fair point:-

Until a few years ago the Medallist would also have figured in the new gun stakes, and there are still enough on the second-hand market to make the Italian built gun a serious consideration for the beginner on a budget.

Almost everyone in the UK except Browning themselves called the gun the Browning Medallist, but in reality it owed nothing to Browning in its makeup.

502_00000106c_1bc0_Secondhand_Browning_M

“Browning” wasn’t even printed on the box it was supplied in, and in reality it was nothing more than an attempt by the famous Belgian company’s British importers to provide a gun well within the sub-£1,000 bracket.

Read more at http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/review/secondhand-browning-medallist-review#FculAFPBmiCsi1si.99

That aside, plus the odd instance quoted, I still await the OP's assertion that this poor practice is on the increase.