Used Shotgun Advertisements, take care

joecash

Fair enough, but regardless of yours or indeed my opinion, FIAS, the makers of the Medalist, unlike the other guns you mention above, were never licensed by Browning as far as I'm aware, regardless of being sold as a Browning product. The gun has never had anything to do with Browning but rather the importers of Browning, whoever they were at the time.

True, but the point is browning hasnt existed for a long time as an independent manufacturer AFAIK the Medalist was an embarrassment to FN,but is always referred to as a browning http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/review/secondhand-browning-medallist-review (interesting history) http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/browning-medallist-shotgun-review

SO with the magazines listing the manufacturer as "Browning" you can forgive most people for thinking it is however it is slightly confused with a Browning medalist pistol made in the 70's for .22LR target shooting.

So there is in fact a browning medalist but it isn't a shotgun..... Wonder what owners had written on their certificate?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scully - I believe you have a fair point:-

Until a few years ago the Medallist would also have figured in the new gun stakes, and there are still enough on the second-hand market to make the Italian built gun a serious consideration for the beginner on a budget.

Almost everyone in the UK except Browning themselves called the gun the Browning Medallist, but in reality it owed nothing to Browning in its makeup.

502_00000106c_1bc0_Secondhand_Browning_M

“Browning” wasn’t even printed on the box it was supplied in, and in reality it was nothing more than an attempt by the famous Belgian company’s British importers to provide a gun well within the sub-£1,000 bracket.

Read more at http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/review/secondhand-browning-medallist-review#FculAFPBmiCsi1si.99

That aside, plus the odd instance quoted, I still await the OP's assertion that this poor practice is on the increase.

Thankyou. I'm not 'dissing' the Medalist, just in case anyone thinks otherwise. I think it was well made despite being made to a price, and there are many still providing good service.

True, but the point is browning hasnt existed for a long time as an independent manufacturer AFAIK the Medalist was an embarrassment to FN,but is always referred to as a browning

SO with the magazines listing the manufacturer as "Browning" you can forgive most people for thinking it is however it is slightly confused with a Browning medalist pistol made in the 70's for .22LR target shooting.

You most certainly can forgive people for thinking it is. The point I was trying to make with the OP's post uppermost in mind was that people may believe that when they buy a Medalist, they are buying a Browning, but they're not, but that doesn't detract from the fact it is still a good gun.

Despite being an ex hand gunner, I had no idea there was a Browning Medalist pistol.

A Medalist, from F.I.A.S. Made in Italy to the specifications of Brownings importers. Can't recall what FIAS stands for without looking it up.

I've a browning Medalist it says browning on it I've a FIAS it says Fabric International Arms Sabbitti

All made it the same factory but ones sold original by BWM from the Browning Catalogue it not false advertising.

I've a browning Medalist it says browning on it I've a FIAS it says Fabric International Arms Sabbitti

All made it the same factory but ones sold original by BWM from the Browning Catalogue it not false advertising.

I couldn't remember what was stamped/engraved on the medalist (if it said browning or just medalist) can you pop a piccy up when have 2 min. Does it have Italian proof marks?

Fair enough, but my initial post stands; it wasn't made under license to Browning nor for Browning, but for Brownings importers to their own specification by FIAS.

Scully - I believe you have a fair point:-

Until a few years ago the Medallist would also have figured in the new gun stakes, and there are still enough on the second-hand market to make the Italian built gun a serious consideration for the beginner on a budget.

Almost everyone in the UK except Browning themselves called the gun the Browning Medallist, but in reality it owed nothing to Browning in its makeup.

502_00000106c_1bc0_Secondhand_Browning_M

“Browning” wasn’t even printed on the box it was supplied in, and in reality it was nothing more than an attempt by the famous Belgian company’s British importers to provide a gun well within the sub-£1,000 bracket.

Read more at http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/review/secondhand-browning-medallist-review#FculAFPBmiCsi1si.99

That aside, plus the odd instance quoted, I still await the OP's assertion that this poor practice is on the increase.

I've got one in a nice shiny black cardboard box, printed with "Browning Medallist" in big gold letters?

I'd agree it not technically a browning as I think it was only sold here by BWM. But then the 325/425/525 are mirokus not Brownings.

The medalist was sold here under other names as well I think but would have check McNab used it as well if was also sold in it's own rights.

I feel the 12 bores an ok gun the 20 bore is a better gun that's better balanced and fast handling makes a nice ladies or youths gun with ease.

Perhaps it's all down to licensing? I'm assuming Miroku are licensed by Browning to manufacture their guns, but FIAS never were.

Define "browning" ........ licensing isn't the same as subcontracted manufacturing. Regardless of the why's and wherefores it is, in common parlance known as a browning medalist....

Define "browning" ........ licensing isn't the same as subcontracted manufacturing. Regardless of the why's and wherefores it is, in common parlance known as a browning medalist....

I don't need to, and wouldn't know how to even if I felt the need. It is indeed known as a Browning Medalist in 'common parlance', but even Browning, in the reply to the 2010 thread 'Browning rabbit mania ' (?) as provided in the link, don't consider it to be a Browning. The comment I made regarding those who believe that they, when buying a Medalist are buying a Browning, is still relevant; they aren't. It is also relevant to the topic of this thread. What more can I say?

It is a misnomer to call it a Browning as they cannot sell it as a Browning because that would require Browning International's consent and neither of the shareholders of Browning (FN or Miroku) had any vested interest in this gun.

The gun was solely BWM the UK importers (a separate company to Browning) deal and they cannot manufacture or get them manufactured and then call them a Browning they can only import Brownings that Browning international make or get made.

The Miroku 325 425 etc. are branded as Browning, I know my Browning ultra XS had the browning logo on it and my 325 was also branded as a Browning Citori. So regardless of where and by whom they are made they are branded and sold as a Browning.

If you look at the response from David Stapley from Browning UK he claims the Medallist was never branded as a Browning and never actually sold as a Browning. I know some have said this is incorrect and their medalist does have branding but until I see a picture to prove him wrong I will take him at his word.

So from my point of view trying to say it's a Browning when the actual people who got it manufactured, imported and sold say it's not a Browning just doesn't seem a compelling argument to me.

And you would be a total moron..... Or perhaps just swayed by the option of a different car when he saw them "in the flesh" plenty of people go to buy a particular thing and walk out with something else, plenty of sellers of anything from TV's to cars don't know enough about what they are selling and are only human and forget/load the wrong photo or descriptions. As long as when made aware the description is wrong it gets changed no harm done.

He's dead right there. True story, I went out a few years ago to buy a new car. I made the mistake of taking my two teenage sons to help me choose what model to buy. Anyway to cut a long story short I came home with a speed boat. What made it even worse was the bl***y thing wouldn't fit in the garage, so I had to knock a great big hole in the end wall. Got to be a message there somewhere. LOL