Keen on pigeon shooting? You may have to recalibrate.

JDog

I had the pleasure of meeting ezi bez from this forum in Yorkshire this week.

This is a man whose whole life appears to revolve around shooting of some kind and 'keen' would not do him justice. Some of us (me anyway) moan if we have to put the miles in to find some pigeons. Ezi bez puts the miles in on his bicycle pulling a trailer with his kit and his dog in it! It is not unknown for him to do a round trip of 30 miles to go decoying. How about that for keen?

Yesterday I collected him in my car (my cycling days are over) and we toured around and found very few flight lines. One line which I had seen for the previous two days coming out of town was very strong - about a pigeon/minute but we were unable to get on as other shooters were supposed to control the pigeons. Where were they? We were eventually frustrated into setting up on a freshly cut field but the birds did not return in any numbers to give us a decent session.

Thanks Jdog for a lovely day out , I enjoyed it very much, its a shame that there wasn't many birds about, but that's pigeon shooting.

I am quite slim but it just makes it easier to cut through the wind when im peddling around lol ! I guess you could call me keen, although I guess there is someone else out there keener than me ive just not met them yet !

Thanks for the nice comments Jdog, and every one else. Atb Ezi.

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of a story the late John Butler told me. Many years ago he and Barry Crossland now also unfortunately deceased used to cycle to the Humber for Wildfowling. John and I believe Barry were both founder members of the Alkborough Wildfowler association. Anyway after cycling together in the mornings with all their gear for a few years Barry decided to buy a moped, this made it a lot easier as John used to hold onto his shoulder and be pulled along. One morning during a heavy snow fall, Barry lost control of the moped and ended up in a ditch with John on top of him and the moped and bike in a tangle. Barry had injured himself, a broken arm I believe. John told me he was really concerned about Barry but was more worried he would miss the flight. A kind passing car driver took Barry to hospital and left John to sort out the Bikes. John just left them in the ditch and carried on walking to the marsh and bagged himself a Pinkie. John and Barry were great friends and later in life he would alway rib John for caring more about the flight than him.

Reminds me of a story the late John Butler told me. Many years ago he and Barry Crossland now also unfortunately deceased used to cycle to the Humber for Wildfowling. John and I believe Barry were both founder members of the Alkborough Wildfowler association. Anyway after cycling together in the mornings with all their gear for a few years Barry decided to buy a moped, this made it a lot easier as John used to hold onto his shoulder and be pulled along. One morning during a heavy snow fall, Barry lost control of the moped and ended up in a ditch with John on top of him and the moped and bike in a tangle. Barry had injured himself, a broken arm I believe. John told me he was really concerned about Barry but was more worried he would miss the flight. A kind passing car driver took Barry to hospital and left John to sort out the Bikes. John just left them in the ditch and carried on walking to the marsh and bagged himself a Pinkie. John and Barry were great friends and later in life he would alway rib John for caring more about the flight than him.

That's a great story - so old school :-).

I had the pleasure of meeting ezi bez from this forum in Yorkshire this week.

This is a man whose whole life appears to revolve around shooting of some kind and 'keen' would not do him justice. Some of us (me anyway) moan if we have to put the miles in to find some pigeons. Ezi bez puts the miles in on his bicycle pulling a trailer with his kit and his dog in it! It is not unknown for him to do a round trip of 30 miles to go decoying. How about that for keen?

Yesterday I collected him in my car (my cycling days are over) and we toured around and found very few flight lines. One line which I had seen for the previous two days coming out of town was very strong - about a pigeon/minute but we were unable to get on as other shooters were supposed to control the pigeons. Where were they? We were eventually frustrated into setting up on a freshly cut field but the birds did not return in any numbers to give us a decent session.

if he don't use his bike how the hell can he get to the land as he don't drive well only his lass up the wall I'll say this he will do any thing for anyone that ask I have know him all his life he's a good lad Edited by martyn2233

if he don't use his bike how the hell can he get to the land as he don't drive well only his lass up the wall I'll say this he will do any thing for anyone that ask I have know him all his life he's a good lad

If ezi bez lived close to me I suspect that he would be a regular shooting companion of mine. However he would have to give up the fags first.