Setting hide the eve before

richards0170

All, after some good and cery poor days this year i have always set my hide up in the morning say half 6 then decoys out normally ready by 7am. I am off on a promising field tomorrow which i have watched for a few days, but i have set my hide up tonight on the edge of a copse in the middle of a stubble field which is the flightline(had at least 20 come over whilst setting up tonight), im hoping to turn up at 6am tomorrow, decoys out and ready togo.

Just wondered if any1 else sets their hides up the night before?

On a couple of locations I shoot, I have semi permanent hides prepared (all with natural material), I just have to make minimal adjustments when I arrive.

However, I don't commit to them unless the birds are there.

I would be reluctant to leave poles/nets , etc., anywhere people had access to, even overnight.

I hope you have a good day, let us know how you get on. :good:

I have had hides disappear that I have left out .

If its just for a one off trip i do not really see the benefit , I would just erect it when I shoot , the flight line may have changed tomorrow.

I would also say that you are likely to get better sport if you left it until later in the day.

It takes 5 minutes to set the hide up so the only real justification is having less gear to carry which is kind of negated if the spot you pick turns out to be second best on the day of the shoot. Semi permanent from natural material is different altogether as Cranfield says. :yes:

i have always set my hide up in the morning say half 6 then decoys out normally ready by 7am.

I am off on a promising field tomorrow which i have watched for a few days, which is the flightline(had at least 20 come over whilst setting up tonight)

im hoping to turn up at 6am tomorrow, decoys out and ready togo.

Just wondered if any1 else sets their hides up the night before?

.Its also a good idea to flag of fields the night before. ( Davyo)

Well by the time you read this you will have returned from the day, so how did it go? Have you thought about where the birds are coming from and going to in regard to the flagging off of fields? As above. Or setting up on the fields where they are actually going to feed on. You have set up on a flight line but there may be better alternatives. In the past I have set off at the crack of dawn but I don't do it anymore because The day hasn't got set as to what the birds are going to do on that day. sometimes everything has been soaking wet and cold and I have set up in the wrong place or nothing has shown up at all or I've set up and then the field is full of tractors harvesting, cultivating or hedge cutting. Now I get there about 9 and just have a good look to see what is actually happening before I set up. A much better result. and as such I don't set up anything the night before but I've had a good look during the time of day that I'm going to be there and stood in the place where I think that I'm going to set up to see what the angles are and how the sun and wind will come into play. I generally have a second or third place to set up in case there is a reason not to shoot the place where I intended to go. Finally a look at the weather forcast.

Edited by fortune

I have had stuff stolen too, I always just make a hide when I go now, as you said you were building your hide yest evening and that's when the birds were flighting maybe an afternoon session would be best, I don't know the flight line or the situation your shooting tho so you may get an all day session on! Best of luck!

Well what a cracking day, the hides were still there this morning which was a Bonus with greenery still attached, We were either side of a small copse in the middle,first shot fired at 6am. U fortunatly not from my side if the copse but hey ho i held it out for an hour but for nothing apart from some long dostance hopeful shots, i was in the wrong place. I moved 20 meters around and there the birds were. Although they werent coming into my decoys but were loving the ones the opposite side. After an hour of listening to my cousin laughing at my misfortune we swapped hides......but so did the bloody birds we stayed like this for another 2 hours and i finally got my share of the birds, although his hide had gone dry, we decided that the hide i was in Was a "hot one" due to the pigeons leaving the town, across the maize and into our decoys. This was how we stayed and removed the other hide.

With a couple quiet intervals and some spots of aweful shooting 26carts for no birds👊😆 we had a very satisfactory day with 67 pigeons 4 crows 2jays and a sea pigeon😉. Fair to say the new 725 got a good break in!!

On another note though, there were 4 flightlines in this field in constant use. Although i think we chose the right one/2 how the hell do you keep the others lines quiet?

Personally I cant be bothered to get up at first light to shoot pigeons, I find midday plenty early enough, the birds are out all afternoon stocking up for the long nights , especially in the winter months, and I find them far more confident and will commit to decoys , my day goes : get up late, breakfast, chill out, pack the van, arrive on permission around midday, take plenty of time to set up properly, studying any flight lines, wind direction, get the hide right, and decoy patterns, only when everything is looking good does the gun come out of the slip, pour the coffee, stick a couple in the breech and settle down, I will shoot until the light goes if the birds are still active, then home in time for dinner, perfick :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Now that my patch is going to have Rape for the very first time...and now that i feel better after going on this gluten free diet...im going to build 4 permant hides into the hedges and the edge of the woodland, i will be using bits of old cammo netting that i have left over and will allow the brambles to intertwine with it.....

when i see what happens on the rape , i will position the hides then and take a few photos....

going back to the OP....every person i know who has put up his /her hide a day or two beforehand sooner or later has had them nicked.... :mad:

I'm certainly no shooting jedi by any means, but if I was to miss consistently then I'd certainly re-think quickly so that I don't waste many opportunities or carts. I.e if I miss 2 in a row I think very carefully and change what I am doing.

This is the same as clays and I was once told by Poontang on here whilst doing a round of skeet with him this - "If you are missing the same bird time and time again, change something and try again as you won't hit it by doing the same thing, obviously". This is true, and if I miss a couple of shots in a row, I seriously think about what I am doing - am I stopping my swing, am I giving enough lead, am I mounting correctly, what's my foot position like etc...

Just a thought :-)

Also - what is a sea pigeon?

I take it as being a sea gull.

I'm certainly no shooting jedi by any means, but if I was to miss consistently then I'd certainly re-think quickly so that I don't waste many opportunities or carts. I.e if I miss 2 in a row I think very carefully and change what I am doing.

This is the same as clays and I was once told by Poontang on here whilst doing a round of skeet with him this - "If you are missing the same bird time and time again, change something and try again as you won't hit it by doing the same thing, obviously". This is true, and if I miss a couple of shots in a row, I seriously think about what I am doing - am I stopping my swing, am I giving enough lead, am I mounting correctly, what's my foot position like etc...

Just a thought :-)

Also - what is a sea pigeon?

• 2 weeks later...