Pigeon and crow decoys together

Bobba

I have often seen advice about keeping a distance between the two types of decoys but as I mainly shoot pigeons I have never thought about varying the day.

The other week I shot with a friend who is 70+, was brought up on farms and has shot for almost 60 years. I was surprised to see him add crow decoys close to his pigeon decoys. When I commented about keeping them separate and at a distance his advice was that I could learn a lot from observing what happens in the field. We had an interesting day shooting a mix of pigeons and crows.

Yesterday I decided to try it for myself. The day was overcast, extremely windy and with blustery showers. I set the pigeon decoys in a large open "U" pattern with a floater to the rear and placed three FUD crow decoys either side in the front of the "U" (6 in total) and about 6 feet away from the nearest pigeon decoy.

An interesting four hours. High winds meant that those pigeons which were around were extremely fast in the air. The result was 18 pigeons and 8 crows. I think I may keep using this pattern and mix for a while to test whether or not it was not just a lucky day.

just watch the birds in the fields, I often see crows and pigeon together in the field. Never equal numbers of each as it always seems to be large number of pigeons to a few crows or vice versa. I always use a Magpie decoy outside of the pattern either onto of a hedge, in the field but some distance away or up a tree but always visible... seems to put there birds at ease for if a Magpie is happy to sit then there should be no danger.

i have always put a crow into the decoy pattern........not "into" but about 20 yards away...started doing it about 30 years ago when i noticed on the winter and spring drillings there were always a couple of blackies hanging around...........i always shine the crow decoy up with boot polish before i take it out............

just watch the birds in the fields, I often see crows and pigeon together in the field. Never equal numbers of each as it always seems to be large number of pigeons to a few crows or vice versa. I always use a Magpie decoy outside of the pattern either onto of a hedge, in the field but some distance away or up a tree but always visible... seems to put there birds at ease for if a Magpie is happy to sit then there should be no danger.

Not another one!

Edited by motty

Not another one!

I take it this is another "idea" you don't share??

I don't know either way but would like to read debate rather than plain denials if YOU don't agree.

(I did this reply wrongly, it's in reference to the idea that a magpie decoy could "calm" pigeons by its presence)

Edited by kitchrat

We do also, perhaps if we did not we would get better bags? ???? ???

( if Motty reads this can someone get the net)

The thing is...Motty lives and shoots in the "Land of milk an' Honey"..........pigeons are there (usually) in such numbers he could put out his magnet with a couple of grey squirells impaled on it and birds would still come into his pattern....all i do is to represent what i often see in the fields as im passing in the car.......... :hmm:

The thing is...Motty lives and shoots in the "Land of milk an' Honey"..........pigeons are there (usually) in such numbers he could put out his magnet with a couple of grey squirells impaled on it and birds would still come into his pattern....all i do is to represent what i often see in the fields as im passing in the car.......... :hmm:

Spot on! His part of Norfolk could just as well be on the moon, it's so different to what I see and experience. But that's pigeon shooting...

Spot on! His part of Norfolk could just as well be on the moon, it's so different to what I see and experience. But that's pigeon shooting...

You really need to start shooting a few pigeons. They are certainly around in Essex. I have been hearing reports of HUGE bags being shot there.

Does anyone really think that a crow magpie decoy next to your pigeon decoys is going to make any difference to the confidence of pigeons? Let's not be silly.

There is nothing wrong with putting crows and pigeons together. That way you can decoy both. I just won't entertain the idea that pigeons are clever enough to believe that if wily old mr crow is around, they will be safe.

By the way, I work pretty hard at my pigeon shooting.

Edited by motty

Motty.....nobody suggested you didnt work hard at your shooting....you produce cracking imformative reports and you are a very generous shot , offering those worse off than you a day out...which i my book is top banana....

.......i too work hard to get what i get....and i dont use stuff that i think is effective i use stuff that works for me.....i shoot over small fields and i watch them ...all i do is to try and replicate what i see...and it works ....for me....and it has worked for shooters before me who are long dead and gone......having said that i may carry the old crow with me and put it out....but sometimes if i feel it is not right i will pull it in.......99% of my shooting is passing trade....not mass feeding, so i have to figure out what is the best way to pull them in

....thats my excuse and im sticking to it.... :lol:

all the best....

I take it this is another "idea" you don't share??

I don't know either way but would like to read debate rather than plain denials if YOU don't agree.

(I did this reply wrongly, it's in reference to the idea that a magpie decoy could "calm" pigeons by its presence)

What Motty is really saying is that it's absurd to credit human levels of perception and deduction to pigeon ! These types of pigeon shooting folklore and knowledge :rolleyes: tend to emanate from country writers keen to meet printing deadlines and get summat interesting under their name. It isn't enough to simply say something works because it seems plausible, it needs experimentation and quantified measurements to make it true.

If a pigeon associates a crow or magpie with safety it would have to mean he can make reasoned judgements that Mr. crow is smarter than his own mates, which is kind of silly really, another pigeon decoy would be just as good.

If crow decoys work then why not a deer grazing right in the middle of the field, why not a few empty seed bags which might make them deduce the farmer has just sown the field and may have spilt a load of easy pickings ?

"The result was 18 pigeons and 8 crows."

Talk about coincidence!

The first wasn't conclusive, so went back for a second recce' on Saturday which confirmed going for the black ones seemed the better option than the pigeon. Mistake - no one else was shooting any where in the area and I finally found where they'd disappeared to on the way home - same with the pigeon really, too much choice and no other shooters to keep them on the move. Hopefully this will change when the remaining (majority) fields are harvested and I can get a couple of extra Guns out. However, stuck at it as I had nothing better to do.Dropped a passing pigeon and put it ten yards or so from the black decoys. By the time I got fed up and decided to call it a day, I had the identical tally. The reason for the doubt about the first recce' was simply that both species were present in the same field in similar numbers Consequently, I do agree with Motty at Post #13 with regard to his first point. With regard to his remark about pigeon being clever enough, I also agree, but what I'm not too sure about is whether or not pure instinct is involved in this respect.

You really need to start shooting a few pigeons. They are certainly around in Essex. I have been hearing reports of HUGE bags being shot there.

Does anyone really think that a crow magpie decoy next to your pigeon decoys is going to make any difference to the confidence of pigeons? Let's not be silly.

Yes, I'd like to shoot some pigeons but I'm in Canada and there aint any! Still, I've got goose and duck shooting on the prairies to look forward to in October before heading back to the UK to take up OSR protection duties!

Glad to hear there are some birds in Essex waiting for me, hope they don't all go to Norfolk like they did last winter!!

JK

What Motty is really saying is that it's absurd to credit human levels of perception and deduction to pigeon ! These types of pigeon shooting folklore and knowledge :rolleyes: tend to emanate from country writers keen to meet printing deadlines and get summat interesting under their name. It isn't enough to simply say something works because it seems plausible, it needs experimentation and quantified measurements to make it true.

If a pigeon associates a crow or magpie with safety it would have to mean he can make reasoned judgements that Mr. crow is smarter than his own mates, which is kind of silly really, another pigeon decoy would be just as good.

If crow decoys work then why not a deer grazing right in the middle of the field, why not a few empty seed bags which might make them deduce the farmer has just sown the field and may have spilt a load of easy pickings ?

The deer idea might work, but I don't have a decoy deer!!

Seriously, I think pigeons are "smarter" than many people think but whether it comes from reasoning or past experience or "this is what to avoid" teaching from parents or others I don't know.

I've related many of my observations of pigeon behavoir, only to be ridiculed by those who haven't seen it. If you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

That's why I quit posting, except when I'm bored.....

imo surely pigeons have to be able to make some form of reasoned judgement, however simple or small it may be or else they would all be randomly spread over the place and would not decoy? i presume they decoy because they have made a judgement that there must be food there? (go easy on me i have hardly any experience on this, just a thought!)

I also put a crow or 3 out, not least to bring a few of them in for shooting. Whilst I do it, I cannot say with any certainty that it helps with pigeons.

Interestingly a rabbit does not seem to decoy even with another rabbit, so are they more or less intelligent than pigeons?

Ah, but did you put a carrot in the decoys mouth?? :lol:

Adding to the debate , I dont need or get requests from my farmers to deal with a crow problem but do take opportunist shots at one or two should they present.

I did however lay a decoy pattern out of both crow and pigeon space about 10 yards from one another many moons back on a farm, it resulted in both good crow and pigeon shooting to the point where at its height pigeon and crow were aerial dog fighting to get into the patterns.

Spectacular to watch and very confusing to concentrate for a shot as they weaved and dived about, not tried it since but do rarely use a crow if shot as a "confidence" decoy set away from the pigeon decoys if it feels right on the day especialy if the pigeon seem a little reluctant to decoy after trying all else.

Adding to the debate , I dont need or get requests from my farmers to deal with a crow problem but do take opportunist shots at one or two should they present.

I did however lay a decoy pattern out of both crow and pigeon space about 10 yards from one another many moons back on a farm, it resulted in both good crow and pigeon shooting to the point where at its height pigeon and crow were aerial dog fighting to get into the patterns.

Spectacular to watch and very confusing to concentrate for a shot as they weaved and dived about, not tried it since but do rarely use a crow if shot as a "confidence" decoy set away from the pigeon decoys if it feels right on the day especialy if the pigeon seem a little reluctant to decoy after trying all else.

On the other hand I have, several times, seen a lone crow drive a flock (100+) pigeons off a field he feels is his territory. He did this by repeatedly dive-bombing feeding birds.

Ever seen this Motty or is it another of my halucinations??

On another day, you can see a mixed flock feeding happily........