AL391 urika 1 non steel proof

littlerob

i have the Beretta AL391 Urika with the optima plus choke type it don't have the Fleur-de-Lys on it any where all it have 76mm 1080kg cm and the Italian two gear star magnum proofed mark and the date code i have used quite a few Remington sportsman high speed steel 32g size 4 70mm and the odd box of 34g size 3 76mm on pigeons with 1/4 choke on the Remington's i noticed they say 1050bar max which i have used lead cartridges that siad the same that's why i didn't hesitate to use them then on Monday i was giving two box's of Eley Lighting 36g size 3 shot 3inch they say for steel proofed weapons 1320 bar so today plucked up the courage and said i will give them a try i only fired 1 at a time then strip the gun down to inspect the barrel fired 3 in total with no ill effects or any visual signs of damage so i will be using the two box's and if i get on ok with them i buy some there quite punchy i have found but no worse then the Remington's now for the question's 1st will size 3 be up to the job of wild fowling as I'm not that good of a shot i wont even fire a shot if its not with in 25- 30 yards if not i suppose it be ok to up size to 1's 2nd question would 1/4 choke do or should i risk trying 1/2 choke 3rd question other cartridges worth trying

i have the Beretta AL391 Urika with the optima plus choke type it don't have the Fleur-de-Lys on it any where all it have 76mm 1080kg cm and the Italian two gear star magnum proofed mark and the date code i have used quite a few Remington sportsman high speed steel 32g size 4 70mm and the odd box of 34g size 3 76mm on pigeons with 1/4 choke on the Remington's i noticed they say 1050bar max which i have used lead cartridges that siad the same that's why i didn't hesitate to use them then on Monday i was giving two box's of Eley Lighting 36g size 3 shot 3inch they say for steel proofed weapons 1320 bar so today plucked up the courage and said i will give them a try i only fired 1 at a time then strip the gun down to inspect the barrel fired 3 in total with no ill effects or any visual signs of damage so i will be using the two box's and if i get on ok with them i buy some there quite punchy i have found but no worse then the Remington's now for the question's 1st will size 3 be up to the job of wild fowling as I'm not that good of a shot i wont even fire a shot if its not with in 25- 30 yards if not i suppose it be ok to up size to 1's 2nd question would 1/4 choke do or should i risk trying 1/2 choke 3rd question other cartridges worth trying

If you're only going to be shooting close range duck like that, you might as well use a steel 5 with open chokes. If I were you I would buy some 32 gram 4 or 5. They will be cheaper than the Lightning and will kill easily out to the ranges you're looking to shoot.

If you're only going to be shooting close range duck like that, you might as well use a steel 5 with open chokes. If I were you I would buy some 32 gram 4 or 5. They will be cheaper than the Lightning and will kill easily out to the ranges you're looking to shoot.

I'm also looking if i get lucky to bag the odd goose

Firstly 3s are fine for duck and will deal with a goose if its not long range I would use the lightning in a 1 if solely looking for a goose.

Secondly if you are going to try wildfowling in these parts you may well wait most of the season to get within 25 yards of a duck !

well that's what i normally shoot pigeons at around 25-30 yards and can drop them ok longer range if there heading straight to me or going away just left to right birds beyond 25 yards i struggle with to be honest but might be better as there bigger targets lol as i find shooting pheasants quite easy

I also have the Beretta AL391 Urika, had it for years, used it with Steel since the rules changed I believe. It's a cracking gun mate.

I've fired a lot of Steel through it, no harm done yet.

I use 1/4 choke in the morning, skeet in the evening.

Steel seems to throw a tighter pattern, from my gun anyway, so 1/4 works for me.

I use 32gm, 34gm, and, seldom, 36gm, if they need more than that they're too far away for me to work out the lead anyway.

Buy the very best cartridges you can afford, they're still the cheapest part of the day, you might only get one shot, whack something decent at them.

I won't sacrifice what 1/4 choke will do, for what 1/2 or more choke might do. Others differ, I wish them well.

Duck where I shoot, North Norfolk and the Wash only come into the marsh splashes,(if they come at all), right on dark.

If my age denuded eye-sight can see them, they're a skeet shot at worst.

Go down the marsh a lot, find out what works for you, do that and **** what I or anyone else says.

But the Beretta bit you can rely on, they don't make a bad shotgun.

as i haven't joined a club i will going down the day permits of various clubs with in a 50mile radius of me if some guys would show me the ropes and take me out with them be much appreciate it buy buying breakfast or dinner for there help and if we get some sport on the day weather ducks or goose would ace