Is this an edible mushroom?

Foxwit

There is no deadly poisonous fungi that looks like that. Especially one growing in pasture. Peeling the cap is a myth in the fact that some peel further than others.

I can see its a field mushroom hence why I said. I would never tell someone to eat something unless I was 100%. Oh if you look up wild foragers you will see me taking groups out, picking and identifying fungi. Thanks

There is no deadly poisonous fungi that looks like that. Especially one growing in pasture. Peeling the cap is a myth in the fact that some peel further than others.

I can see its a field mushroom hence why I said. I would never tell someone to eat something unless I was 100%. Oh if you look up wild foragers you will see me taking groups out, picking and identifying fungi. Thanks

I am enivous, I know a few fungi that I pick but have been looking for a mentor for some time down this way. There are a few companies that run a day out but I am a bit further on that just a basic day with my foraging.

I reckon i know a few 100% about (4) that i do not need to question, however was on a forage with a European mate and he had an astounding knowledge and understanding of both fungi and mushrooms and cooked up a delicious meal with them later that day, when i asked how he got it he said he used to go out with his grandma who would decide where and what they should pick based he said on the weather that morning....i think witchcraft is a play myself..

Edited by leftnright

remember, although that one looks edible and tasty, destroying angels reside in the same area and are the most common reason for hospitalisation from shroom poisoning.

What I was taught to do was learn a few good edible ones along with the ones they get confused with most often.

Each and every shroom needs close examination before cooking in this case.

you can get in to black and white paper and spore prints if necessary and checking gills and stem rings

Destroying angels are strictly a wood residing mushroom. They also only have white/cream gills. They indeed are the same family (agaric) as field mushrooms but that's it. Destroying angels are not very common aswell. I think if you look you will find the death cap accounts for far more poisoning cases than other fungi. In 20 years of teaching fungi and collecting, I have only found around 50 angels.

Edited by Mr pigeon

I only know one and that very well as its the only one currently I eat and it grows in the garden. Thats a field mushroom, light pink gills, very distinctive smell, nothing else looks like it in my opinion and so its quite distinctive. The gills shade to brown and black the older it gets.

That one is about a day and a half old, maybe 2 and has opened within the last 12 hours at a guess. Smell it - you wont forget that.

Garlic, butter, a bit of toast and a couple of pigeon breasts.

Just an afterthought, I would eat that one in the pic, whether you do is up to you.

Edited by Kes

I've shot this pasture for a while now and noticed them only recently at about 4-5am one morning there is a considerable number of them as well. Would love to have the confidence to cook them. We used to get loads with my mother when we were kids on a farm we used to live on as well as giant puff balls.

Trouble Is I don't trust myself to identify now and would not want to put myself or family on danger. Shame really as I believe there is a real bounty to be had!

Shame you are in Wiltshire - I would come down try them for you and give you the confidence to reap what appears to be an abundant harvest. Its your choice but I have no doubt from the pic. However, I cant see all of them !

When you have identified them to your satisfaction and want to harvest them - dont pull them up, cut them off just above the soil. I was told this preserves more of the mycelium, the plant itself, the mushroom is just the fruiting body. You should TAKE a few to your local expert - the pub, dont tell them where you got them or that will be all lost.

+1 and a fine specimen. Enjoy :good:

what about the yellow stainer , may not be deadly but can make you ill and looks same and grows in the same areas ,

it's easey to say your an expert but without it in your hand you would be foolish to leave yourself open to the consequencess of what can happen when you make a statement like that on an open forum DD