Beans came up trumps......pun definitely intended.

JDog

Why I should still have restless nights anticipating a day's pigeon shooting goodness only knows. After all I have logged on getting on for 2,000 days out under various hedges in my time. If I didn't get excited perhaps I wouldn't do it.

Lady JDog went off to London for the day so I had a free pass as always. Having dropped her off at the station I arrived far too early at the bean field and in fifteen minutes of partly reading the paper and watching I saw not a bird in the air. There were five on the muck heap. My 'gut' is not as good as others although it is approaching the same size! So no line no setting up. At 11:30 birds began to move so I set up on the two bales which had been put out for me by the farmer last night. One of the pictures shows the hide in all it's glory for better or for worse. It turned out to be just in the right spot.

The rotary was placed close in and I had two bouncers out and I added dead birds on spikes as I shot them. The line opened up nicely and birds decoyed well for two hours and then for no reason that I could see the pigeons started to by pass the hide on both sides by a distance of 80 to 100m and head into the wheat stubble behind me. Try as I might I could not get them off their new lines and as I was in the middle of the field behind two bales it would have been difficult to move.

The shooting went quiet for an hour until the return line started which was truly magnificent and for an hour I had birds coming back over my head between 30 and 60m high. One of those dead in the air was worth ten of the decoyed variety.

It took a while to pack up and I fetched Jasper from the car to help me look for outlying birds and he brought back a number very professionally. The bag at the end of a long pick up was 139 pigeons which I was very pleased with. Considering that I was shooting over a bean field most pigeons crops I inspected were full of wheat!

DSC05585.jpg?t=1409420698

DSC05587.jpg?t=1409420689

Edited by JDog

Awesome bag. Hope you've got plenty of freezer space :whistling:

The measly amount of freezer space I am allowed is full of last years woodcock.

Within an hour of leaving the field the whole lot, with the exception of birds for next week's decoys, were in three different pubs freezers in exchange for copious amounts of food and drink. Is there any wonder that I am getting so fat?

The measly amount of freezer space I am allowed is full of last years woodcock.

Within an hour of leaving the field the whole lot, with the exception of birds for next week's decoys, were in three different pubs freezers in exchange for copious amounts of food and drink. Is there any wonder that I am getting so fat?

Is it that you have grow your body weight to match the Hat???????????