Pigeons not coming down to deoys?

simon04

Update..

I removed the bouncer from the equation, and stuck to the L pattern. Not many birds around, but bagged one yesterday - it didn't come down, but came close enough to get a clear shot.

No movement today - just a waste of time!!

I just don't think theres enough birds on a regular basis at the moment. So I'm now looking for somewhere else to shoot - then I might re-assess tactics.

Sometimes pigeons will not decoy, no matter what you do.

same happened to me today

Never a good idea to set up on field you see them landing on, much better if possible to set up a field or two away on flightline into where that are feeding, not always possible I know but I have seen so many times a field covered with birds- set up and few shots then nothing for ages. :no:

I totally disagree with this, unless I have misunderstood. Are you advising to not set up on the field that pigeons are feeding on?

Never a good idea to set up on field you see them landing on, much better if possible to set up a field or two away on flightline into where that are feeding, not always possible I know but I have seen so many times a field covered with birds- set up and few shots then nothing for ages. :no:

if I see any landing in a field to feed then that is normally my first field of call,,they know where the food is and will always come back to feed but my best tip is to get out and reckie where your shooting,,an hour or two out with the bino,s will increase your chances 10 fold,,

whoever told you not to set up on a field with feeding pigeons must have totally lost the plot

atb Evo

Sometimes when there appears to be plenty of pigeons in the air but not feeding in your location and not interested in decoying they are preoccupied with trips from the feeding fields back to the nest and back several times a day. Especially at peak breeding times during and just after harvest.

As Other posters have said sometimes they are just not interested and a nothing will bring them close.

Case in point a few years ago I sat in a hide on a wheat field 2 days cut and there were more pigeons flighting over head following an old railway line than you could shake a big stick at.

I had a click counter with me that I used for BTO surveys and in 6 Hours I clicked up nearly 2000 birds going backwards and forwards at altitude going like the clappers. I let of less than 10 shots and hit 4 birds.