A good days decoying with my lads - Got his first Pigeon!

Wildfowler

I posted some pictures and videos on here some time back of my eldest son Charlie (then aged 8, now 10) learning to shoot, followed by a report of his first sessions out on a driven shoot.

Well today was my youngest son Olivers' first day out on live quarry (age 6, almost 7). Both sons have come previously but only my eldest has shot...

We set off at about 9:30 to a field I'd had some success in recently. They both 'help' carry the gear and are dead keen to learn how to set up the pattern...

It was a slow start with only a few birds presenting suitable shots for the youngsters, and with them sharing a gun (it was bad enough having 2 of them in a hide, let alone 2 with guns!) Oliver was starting to get a bit bored.

By 10:30 we had set up and I had shot a couple to put on the magnet, so they both set off to retrieve them and learn how to get the rotary going.

As the morning progressed a few more birds started to come in and the lads were starting to get into the swing of it. If i'm honest, i was finding it hard to put my gun down and give them the chance to give it a bash, but after a couple of 'warm up' shots, Oliver got his very first pigeon! It was a left to right crosser, over to the left hand side, it was a good 35+ yards away with a 410... He was proud as punch - and so was I!

The total bag for the day was 27 woodies, 2 ferals and a Crow. 30 birds in the bag and 2 very happy lads - what a great day out!

dont they just look the part, what a great day had and memories made my memories of my younger days are learning to repair cars and paint them with my dad, he's not a shooter so made do teaching me what he new.

i cant wait to take mine out but sadly minecraft is all he is interested in!!!!!!!!!

A great day to remember