.177 pellet sizes, and Daystate Huntsman food

JABB

Looking at .177 pellets, and the different sizes in mm.
Firstly, what are the benefits of a smaller or larger pellet?
Is it a case of trying them to find one that works, or are they sized for a certain purpose / discipline?

Looking for the best food for a Daystate Huntsman for rabbits at 15 - 40 yards.

Looking at .177 pellets, and the different sizes in mm.[/size]Firstly, what are the benefits of a smaller or larger pellet?[/size]Is it a case of trying them to find one that works, or are they sized for a certain purpose / discipline?[/size]

Looking for the best food for a Daystate Huntsman for rabbits at 15 - 40 yards.[/size]

A lot of people recommend sample packs of say 6 brands with 50 pellets of each but as a rule JSB's, RWS, H+N, Bisleys, air arms seem to be most popular. My huntsman is a .22 and I was advised to try JSBs by a certain well known daystate fan from this site (sound guy) and he was absolutely right, great pellet for mine.

the top 3 pellets I have found in my .177 wolverine b are as follows,

1st H&N Field Target Trophy

2nd Bisley Long Range Gold

3rd JSB Exact,

I have tried allsorts to find the best pellet for my rifle as I always do, the above three pellets will deform excellent on impact due to having more lead than tin in the pellet,

the above three pellets have the best groups at 30-55yrds

if you are looking for a heavier pellet then Bisley mags have proved excellent out to 40 yrd,s but due to the weight the rifle behaves like a .22 with the loopy trajectory

hope this helps

atb Evo

JABB

Hope u don't mind me correcting you but a soft pellet that expands is not a benefit in a sub 12 airgun. You need a dense hard pellet that will be hard hitting and not deform on impact this way it will break bones and penetrate deep causing more internal damage.

Try out Daystate FT heavies they are the mutts for hunting....

Trust me I've shot loads with my pcp and never had a bad day with them.

JABB Said

These JSBs, do they expand much on impact? I am hoping to find a pellet which does maximum damage on impact with a clean kill.

Edited by blasterjudd

JABB

Hope u don't mind me correcting you but a soft pellet that expands is not a benefit in a sub 12 airgun. You need a dense hard pellet that will be hard hitting and not deform on impact this way it will break bones and penetrate deep causing more internal damage.

Try out Daystate FT heavies they are the mutts for hunting....

Trust me I've shot loads with my pcp and never had a bad day with them.

JABB Said

These JSBs, do they expand much on impact? I am hoping to find a pellet which does maximum damage on impact with a clean kill.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. You need the pellet to deform to transfer energy to the quarry...otherwise you'll just punch through. The copper pellets and pointed pellets aren't particuarly good for hunting for this very reason. If you just aim to "break bones" all you will do is leave the quarry on the floor in pain and hopping around alive with an exit wound on the other side. Its a shock to the nervous system that is required, providing a rapid and clean kill. I do agree Daystate FT heavies will do a good job though.

-Andrew

Edited by Theskyfox